Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Allow editing for cells in a formula column

Options

Hello, I have found that when a column is a formula column, you can no longer manually update those cells--ever. Is there a reason these cells need to be "locked down"? When you add a formula, just to the cells manually, and not the entire column, you can always update it whenever you need to. I know I can "turn off" the formula column and change what I need and then add it back to the column, but it does not work 100% the way I need it to, and I just think it would be more useful and efficient to not have it locked down; to allow editing in cells when you add the formula to a column. For me, it would be helpful to allow editing in those cells, because I am finding that for my current intake sheet, I am going backwards with having to manually edit the cells due to the formula lock, so I do not even have the formula in the columns/cells anymore. Side note: regardless if there is a formula column or a formula in a single cell, Dynamic View does not allow updates when any formula is in any cell. Not sure if that was a known issue/glitch, so I wanted to share that here.

3 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn âś­âś­âś­
    Options

As a work-around, you can create a helper column with a 'suggested' value, in your official column, you can either enter a value manually or write a 2-second equation that simply references the suggested value.

Eg. =[Suggested Value]@row

However, I currently have a need for this type of functionality. I want certain columns of new line entries to be automatically filled with a result of an equation and not the equation itself. Like a workflow that "Changes the value of a cell" when a "new line is added" but it doesn't just put in a fixed value (like it currently does) but uses the result of a formula that you enter.

• dhurjati_sen
    dhurjati_sen âś­âś­
    Options

I also do have the same requirement as @spauliszyn mentioned above.

When the row is added the formula should fetch the value, but at run time it should allow the value to be edited.

Is there any way around this or any fix/workaround that @smartsheet is coming up with?

Thanks & Regards,

Dhurjati Sen