Why is my embedded web content unable to be seen by other users?

Options

Within my team's workspace, I have created various sheets and reports that are being rolled into a single dashboard.

One of the reports I created in this workspace is best suited for a "card view" report. For context, this report organizes various project cards by which phase they are currently in.

For me to have this card view report added to my dashboard, I've had to tap into the report's "Publish Options", grab the URL, and embed the report into my dashboard through a Web Content Widget.

From my POV, I've always been able to correctly see all of the cards in their appropriate phases. When some of the teammates navigate to the dashboard, however, they aren't able to see any of the cards in this Web Content widget. (There should be 14 cards parsed out by 6 phases and they are seeing 0).

All of the teammates have been added to the workspace as admins and again, all of the sheets/reports/dashboards mentioned above are saved in the same workspace.

What could be causing them to not see any of the cards in this Web Content widget?

Thank you,

eweneck

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @eweneck

Are all of the teammates shared to the source files that the dashboard is presenting?

A way around this would be to share your screen during a meeting.

Otherwise everyone needs permissions to at least "view" the source data to also see what is in the reports.

• eweneck
    Options

Hi @MichaelTCA - thanks for reaching out.

Yes - the teammates I'm working with have Admin permissions.

I just worked with one of the teammates and had them share their screen while viewing the dashboard in question. When they look at the Web Content widget in card view, none of the data is being shown. However, when they switched the view in the widget to "grid view" the data populated - phases and project names, everything that I want them to see in the card view.

That makes me feel like I can eliminate a permissions issue from the conversation.

I can certainly share my screen during this first meeting but eventually, I'm going to need confidence that the 25+ stakeholders can leverage the dashboard with the intended views.

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/29/24
    Options

@eweneck

Interesting. Here's what the AI came up with. Looks like there's a second "perspective" setting in the background.

• eweneck
    Options

Hi @MichaelTCA -

Appreciate the recommendation, however, it does not apply in this context because I'm showcasing this report through a Web Content widget, not a Report widget. Web Content widgets do not allow for the changing of the perspective settings.

As a note, I have to embed this Card View Report through a Web Content widget because when trying to add the Card View Report to a dashboard, it defaults back to Grid View - which is frustrating. Card Views are an effective way to illustrate project pipelines and there is no way to implement them into a dashboard.

Please see this thread where a user is asking how to incorporate a card view widget into a dashboard, similar to what I'm doing.

The last comment includes a viewable demo. I just clicked on it and realized that upon opening the dashboard, I cannot see the cards in the Web Content widgets! Exactly the same as the issue I've described above - even to the extent that when I switch to grid view, the data populates! It's just an issue with the card view.

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@eweneck

Glad you figured it out.

Cards are restricted and there is ongoing development for cards and timeline views.

In my opinion, both can be difficult to work with in smartsheet and I stay away.

• eweneck
    Options

@MichaelTCA

Would you have any recommendations on how to continue leveraging Smartsheet Dashboards to show various initiatives in a single project parsed out by which phase each initiative is in?

This view was intended to be a key component of our Dashboard. If I (the dashboard developer) am the only user able to see the project's portfolio by phase then we may need to scratch everything, which I'm hoping isn't the case.

I can see my manager questioning the development/Smartsheet entirely if we can't provide this view.

Thanks for your help.

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/01/24
    Options

@eweneck

I've seen it used for more individual tasks because of how the organization of the view is set up, or project management of teams, but the majority of the time it's used by the project lead. The information that is presented in the card isn't always everything you want to see. It's also poorly labeled in my mind, but I have some OCD.

You could add a hyperlink to the sheet with the card view to refer to it.

One last attempt, I'm sorry if you already tried this!

"Access Control" permissions and copy the "Embed Code" and also switch the "Default View" for the sheet to "Card". "The Item" that they are referring to is the sheet with the source data.

• eweneck
    Options

@MichaelTCA

I did give this a try with no luck. I got excited that this would be the ticket to success when I stumbled upon these options.

Hopefully, Smartsheet will look into implementing card view reports into Dashboard because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from the functionality.

Thanks for your help!

eweneck