Help with IF formula, #UNPARSEABLE error

Can someone help me please?

In the “Queue” column, I have “mapped” from “ComponentID” column a list of values (using IF function), but now I must add to the existent formula the new value “ArtStation.” This comes from a long list of alphanumeric codes. All those codes start with “asset”, the problem is that I get #UNPARSEABLE error, any idea what am I doing wrong?

This is the formula I’m trying and gets error:

=IF(CONTAINS("asset", LEFT(ComponentID@row, 5)), "ArtStation", Queue@row), IF(ComponentID@row = "linkCode", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "island_code", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "mod-text", "Text", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_clip", "EditedClip", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_video", "EditedVideo", IF(ComponentID@row = "level", "FG Maps", IF(ComponentID@row = "linkThumbnail", "FN Creator Pages", IF(ComponentID@row = "voice_chat_room", "VoiceChat"))))))))

This is my original formula without “Asset” values:

=IF(ComponentID@row = "linkCode", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "island_code", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "mod-text", "Text", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_clip", "EditedClip", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_video", "EditedVideo", IF(ComponentID@row = "level", "FG Maps", IF(ComponentID@row = "linkThumbnail", "FN Creator Pages", IF(ComponentID@row = "voice_chat_room", "VoiceChat"))))))))

I appreciate any insights you can provide, thanks!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Xochitl C.,

There are a few issues here.

The CONTAINS function produces a true/false outcome so you would need to amend the first IF statement slightly to reflect this.

If the "Artstation" is the only ComponentID featuring asset, you don't need strictly need both the LEFT and contains function either, as any other asset that isn't Artstation is going to give you a false positive.

Finally, the initial IF statement you're adding has both a true/false value, which would stop the IFs nesting together properly - currently just fixing the start of the IF statement would make something either "Artstation" or the Queue@row value, but the Queue column is where the formula is going so this needs removing altogether!

So, I would amend the first IF statement to be one of the following (your choice):

=IF(CONTAINS("asset", ComponentID@row) = 1, "Artstation")

OR

=IF(LEFT(ComponentID@row, 5) = "asset", "Artstation")

Combining with the already working portion of your formula.

=IF(CONTAINS("asset", ComponentID@row) = 1, "Artstation", IF(ComponentID@row = "linkCode", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "island_code", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "mod-text", "Text", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_clip", "EditedClip", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_video", "EditedVideo", IF(ComponentID@row = "level", "FG Maps", IF(ComponentID@row = "linkThumbnail", "FN Creator Pages", IF(ComponentID@row = "voice_chat_room", "VoiceChat")))))))))

Sample output:

Hope this helps, but if you've any problems/questions then just ask! 🙂

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Xochitl C.,

There are a few issues here.

The CONTAINS function produces a true/false outcome so you would need to amend the first IF statement slightly to reflect this.

If the "Artstation" is the only ComponentID featuring asset, you don't need strictly need both the LEFT and contains function either, as any other asset that isn't Artstation is going to give you a false positive.

Finally, the initial IF statement you're adding has both a true/false value, which would stop the IFs nesting together properly - currently just fixing the start of the IF statement would make something either "Artstation" or the Queue@row value, but the Queue column is where the formula is going so this needs removing altogether!

So, I would amend the first IF statement to be one of the following (your choice):

=IF(CONTAINS("asset", ComponentID@row) = 1, "Artstation")

OR

=IF(LEFT(ComponentID@row, 5) = "asset", "Artstation")

Combining with the already working portion of your formula.

=IF(CONTAINS("asset", ComponentID@row) = 1, "Artstation", IF(ComponentID@row = "linkCode", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "island_code", "Island", IF(ComponentID@row = "mod-text", "Text", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_clip", "EditedClip", IF(ComponentID@row = "edited_video", "EditedVideo", IF(ComponentID@row = "level", "FG Maps", IF(ComponentID@row = "linkThumbnail", "FN Creator Pages", IF(ComponentID@row = "voice_chat_room", "VoiceChat")))))))))

Sample output:

Hope this helps, but if you've any problems/questions then just ask! 🙂

• Xochitl C.
    Xochitl C. ✭✭✭✭

@Nick Korna Thank you SO much!!!!!!!! It works perfectly!! and thank you for the explanation, wow! it was something so simple!

You are the best!!

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No problem at all, happy to have helped!