Why does Smartsheet change my dashboard pie widget colors?

When we added a new Status (Removed by BPO) to our sheet, all of the colors on our dashboard pie widget changed. For example: we set Blocked to orange but now it's red; Not Started was set to light gray but now it is green; Submitted for Approval was light green but now it is yellow. This happened once before when we added a new value to our Status column in the corresponding data sheet.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a way to lock the colors we choose for each value? I now have to reset colors on 20+ widgets. Thanks in advance for your help!

Answers

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/06/24
  • There is no comment.

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Chris M Johnson

I hope you are doing well.

Is the data being pulled from a report of Grid sheet?

I have had this experience by updating new data from a sheet to an existing Pie widget.

The additional status should be the reason as it is usually seen as a new entry resetting the widget entirely and hence the colors. If this is the case then it should be resolved after you save your update.

I hope this helps

• Hi Okey - Yes, the widgets pull from reports of a Grid sheet. Thank you for your explanation about an additional status.

This is an incredible flaw in Smartsheet. All the set colors for widgets should remain and a new color added only for the new value. The widgets should not entirely reset and cause loads of manual rework.

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭

You're very welcome!

I agree it is a pain given the amount of data you have to work with. We can indicate this as a feature request here. It might provide some improvement in the future.

Sorry about the manual update you have to contend with but I hope you have a great week! 🙃