How Do I Sum Up Values from One Sheet to Another With Different Criteria?

Options
ctalucci
ctalucci ✭✭
edited 03/07/24 in Formulas and Functions

Starting with the basic of, how do I populate from one sheet to another while adding a running total? The next layer to this is, how can I get different sub sections to specifically populate into another sheet. In my photo you'll see "Parent Node F" with a total footage in bold and a delta (Production Master). In the other sheet is the daily production for work being done. The Parent Node has Child Nodes designated "a,b,c,d,e, and f"

So, If I put that a crew did 500' in Parent Node F, Child Node A, how can I get that total to reflect into the other roll up sheet (Production Master)? Keep in mind, if work gets done in Parent F Child B, then that total has to go the "b" column in the master and keep adding to that total day after day. Day by day those lines will increase more and more so how do I automate it to capture it in the tracker and then add it to the master?

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could add a SUMIFS formula in the cell on the Production Master where you want the total to appear. SUMIFS lets you sum the values in one column (in your case, footage) where the values in other columns (in your case Parent, and Child) meet certain criteria (for example, F, and a). This article explains the function:

If you use the "Parent Node Name" and "Child Node" columns in the Production Master within the formula (specifying [Child Node}@row rather than "a") you can use the same formula in all the cells, and won't need to specify each child node separately.

As your formula will be using data from another sheet, you will need to set up cross sheet references. You can find out more about those here:

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could add a SUMIFS formula in the cell on the Production Master where you want the total to appear. SUMIFS lets you sum the values in one column (in your case, footage) where the values in other columns (in your case Parent, and Child) meet certain criteria (for example, F, and a). This article explains the function:

If you use the "Parent Node Name" and "Child Node" columns in the Production Master within the formula (specifying [Child Node}@row rather than "a") you can use the same formula in all the cells, and won't need to specify each child node separately.

As your formula will be using data from another sheet, you will need to set up cross sheet references. You can find out more about those here:

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!