How do I create one sheet that automatically ingests data from other sheets?

Options
Dawn_ATX
Dawn_ATX ✭✭✭✭
edited 03/07/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Howdy community!

I have about 90 different project plan sheets that there are static cells I'd like to pull information in from. Those I have already created on a different sheet by using a cell reference. Easy enough.

My struggle now is there is a separate sheet for all 90 of those projects that contains status updates. When someone goes into update it, they consistently use row 13 to insert a new row to put their statuses in. HOW in the HECK do I get that information to populate on the new sheet I'm creating with all 90 of those trackers? I want to pull in different information too from the same row such as project status (active, on hold, etc.), date modified and modified by.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! I'm pretty sure an automation is required here, which is fine, but I am struggling with how to create it. My guess is that it needs to go on the template that was created in our toolkit + some sort of index/match.

THANK YOU!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.