Form Issue - The information you entered is incomplete or invalid.

Options
AWagemaker
AWagemaker ✭✭✭
edited 03/08/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a form that worked approximately 3 weeks ago (and for months before that) but now everyone who enters information on the form gets the "The information you entered is incomplete or invalid." message. Thankfully, the form is just being tested so it hasn't impacted operations but it has stopped us from rolling it out. I've looked at other suggestions about required/not required, validation, hidden fields (none), browser type, etc. but none seem to solve the issue. It worked before but all of a sudden it isn't working.

On top of that, I tried to rebuild the form from scratch. It works fine when i add form logic for 2 requests (from a dropdown total of 5) that starts the request process, but when I try and add another one, regardless of which one, it starts failing. It is frustrating because i have another form that starts with 10 request options via a dropdown and logic that has been working for about 2 years with no issues. It is just this new form that no longer works.

Has anyone else had this issue or something similar? I have no idea where to go with it. My next option is to completely rebuild the entire sheet with automation and the forms. Hopefully that will work but no guarantees. Not looking forward to that.

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @AWagemaker

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• AWagemaker
    AWagemaker ✭✭✭
    edited 03/18/24
    Options

Sorry for the delay and thanks for taking a look! I've been out for a bit of time and now I'm back. I've added some images below.

Form Landing Page

Form Request (1st Request Type)

Form Request (2nd Request Type) after page refresh. As you can see, some of the fields are the same and some new.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is because you have required fields that are not being displayed for all options. For example, "Program #" is a required field but is not displayed and therefore cannot be filled out when making the second "Request Type" selection.

All required fields must have data before the form can be submitted. If you do not allow users to enter data into a required field because it is hidden or using specific field logic, then the field will stay empty and the form cannot be submitted.

• AWagemaker
    AWagemaker ✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome - I was thinking that initially when I was developing this form and the errors appeared but then I realized that couldn't be true because of another form I have that has been in use for over 2 years. That form has 10 different request types that can be chosen from initially with approximately 40 fields on the form that are considered required. However, the most one request type has is approximately 15 and almost all have variations of the same fields across the requests. As of today there are over 4,000 requests that have come through without this issue. I think I am still stuck!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do you have a default value for any of the fields that drive the logic? Do any fields have any validation at all?

• AWagemaker
    AWagemaker ✭✭✭
    Options

The default value was the problem! I had multiple emails with a default of @companyname.com. There was one that only appeared on 1 of the request types. I removed the default from all and retested each form. Everything is looking good! I'm going to have others test as well just to make sure computers, browsers, etc. all work but this has worked.

@Paul Newcome Thank you so much for the back and forth. I'll mark this complete and answered once the other people finish testing.

• AWagemaker
    AWagemaker ✭✭✭
    Options

I finally was able to get others to test other computers, browsers, etc. and all worked as designed. Thanks again @Paul Newcome! I was getting super frustrated with it all but I'm glad to have it cleared up.