Excel exports: error messages

Hi all,

Our team is experiencing issues when trying to export a Project Data Sheet to Excel.

When I export the Data Sheet I get the following error message in Excel:

'We found a problem with some content in 'Project Schedule.xlsx'. Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes.'

When a colleague exports the same Data Sheet they get the following error message in Excel:

'Excel cannot open the file 'Project Schedule.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file. '

I am able to open an exported version of the Data Sheet in Excel. My colleague is unable to open an exported version of the Data Sheet in Excel - nothing appears.

I appreciate this is an issue at the Excel end, but I'm hoping someone else trying to export from Smartsheet to Excel has come across this issue and has found a solution.

A secondary question is why two people, working for the same company, are getting two different Excel error messages when trying to perform the same task.

All help appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Leon

Answers

• marc4
    marc4 ✭✭✭✭

Start with the simple things. Are they both running on the same platform and version? Are they both using the same browser and version? Are they both using the same version of Excel?

If you send them the copy of the exported sheet in excel that you can open, can they open it?

If they send you the copy of the exported sheet that they can not open, can you open it?

Do the two files have the same size?

/marc