How to Merge Fields from Smartsheet into Docusign template

Options

I am generating a Docusign packet with a cover sheet in a sheet called "Onboarding OOA." The first page in the packet is a cover sheet which I would like to pull in information from my smartsheet. These fields should not be editable in the docusign or show is fillable fields. I attempted to do this by saving the cover sheet as a fillable pdf, creating the text fields that I want to merge and then dragging and dropping the column names onto the page in Docusign however it doesn't look normal and puts boxes that are editable around the fields that should be merged (see screenshot). What is the proper process for merging my Smartsheet data with the cover sheet?

Best Answer

• BB2791
    BB2791 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for getting back to me on this! I realized that I needed to update the settings of the the template in Docusign, not Adobe, so that the fields were Read-only. Once I did that the outlines disappeared and the fields I mapped in Smartsheet consistently populated the document when generated.

Thanks again!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @BB2791

The formatting of the fields would be down to how the fillable PDF is set up; you should be able to configure it so there are no borders. The square box will show in the mapping part of Document Builder, but once the file is generated, the formatting should be set up based on the source file, does that make sense?

Let us know if you're still having trouble with this!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• BB2791
    BB2791 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for getting back to me on this! I realized that I needed to update the settings of the the template in Docusign, not Adobe, so that the fields were Read-only. Once I did that the outlines disappeared and the fields I mapped in Smartsheet consistently populated the document when generated.

Thanks again!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Thanks for posting your solution! 🙂