New user type reports in Admin Center homepage, now generally available

Options

Hi Community, 

We've received feedback that our current user type classifications (such as free users, free collaborators, unlicensed users, etc.) tend to cause confusion, and customers find it difficult to understand the rationale behind the existing user type categorizations. To address this feedback, we are introducing new permission-based user types to help System Administrators better understand their plan’s usage and user activity.  

We expect these changes to provide clearer usage insights, ultimately helping SysAdmins make decisions regarding users, permission levels, licenses, and budget allocations.

Additionally, we've made some minor UI enhancements on the Admin Center homepage to highlight the breakdown of these new user types and have provided a downloadable user type report which includes details such as user emails, user types, last logins, maximum current permission levels, number of assets shared, and more.

Stay informed by subscribing to receive product release updates for curated news of recently released product capabilities and enhancements for the platform of your choosing, delivered to your inbox. As new releases occur, you will receive a weekly email with news of what's released every Tuesday. 

Cheers,

Lekshmi Unnithan

Senior Product Marketing Manager

Product screenshot:

Sample Admin Center homepage showing new user type breakdowns:

Comments

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/01/24
    Options

@Lekshmi Unnithan - I love this new report! Very insightful. I have a question and some ideas/requests:

1. Is column 12 (Last Activity) the same as the "Last Login" column we see in the legacy Users Report?
    2. Is there any chance that a column(s) could be added to display First Name and Last Name?
    3. Could a column be added for user status (Active, Deactivated, etc.)
  • MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni
    Options

Thanks @Lekshmi Unnithan

At first glance - it would be nice if you could download the Users and Access reports via quick link from the main Admin page along with the User Types report.

• Srinivasan Sankaran
    Options

@Scott Peters Thanks for trying this report and quick feedback.

1. Last activity could be more recent than last login (as one could maintain their session for a longer duration)
    2. Adding first name and last name: We will consider adding this information.
    3. User Status: This report shows only active users. Deactivated users are not included.
  • Srinivasan Sankaran
    Options

@MCorbin Thanks for the feedback. We will evaluate this feedback in our next iteration.

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Srinivasan Sankaran - Thank you for the quick reply. I asked about Deactivated users because my version of the report included some of those users. Please message me directly if you would like to review together.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agree with @Scott Peters regarding addition of User Name. Presumably this does not replace the existing User List report - it does not contain the same data. We do not want to lose any of the functionality from the User List report, but it might be nice to have it all combined in one report.

• MHalvey
    MHalvey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lekshmi Unnithan - So will these new user types be replacing user permissions? The article is a little confusing with the titled section saying "Permission-based user types" and then going into Viewer, Guest, Team Member, etc.

If I'm understanding it correctly, they will be replacing User Permission levels on assets?

Thank you for clarifying this change,

Michael

Michael Halvey

"Strive for Progress, not Perfection."

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Srinivasan Sankaran @Lekshmi Unnithan - I worked with this new report yesterday and noticed that some of our users are listed in the report with a user type of "Guest". Upon further inspection the users labeled as guests are a mixture of external contacts we have included in our Safe Sharing configuration, combined with any internal employee whose email address is one of the additional domains we have configured in Domain Management.

In my opinion, users who are licensed as part of our account with an email that matches one of our configured domains should be considered a Team Member, Unlicensed Admin, Licensed User, or Viewer (whatever is applicable), and the user type of Guest should be reserved for contacts in the safe sharing list.

• Srinivasan Sankaran
    Options

@MHalvey These user types are not replacing the permissions. They give you an additional pane of glass to look at your users and categorize them by their permissions. So you know who has what level of access, who is internal vs. external.

• Srinivasan Sankaran
    Options

@Scott Peters

1. To your earlier question about deactivated users - This problem is resolved. You shouldn't see deactivated users anymore.
    2. Guest designation is based on what domains are associated to your plan when your plan is created. Your account team will be able to tell you the list. This domain list is not the same as the domains you manage through Domain Management or Safe sharing. But, thanks for the feedback. We will evaluate how to combine these different sources for you.