Card View - Lanes by Parent Task?

Options
chlod24
chlod24 ✭✭
edited 04/01/24 in Formulas and Functions

My sheet is setup with the following levels with how tasks are nested - see screenshot.

In the card view, I want the lanes to be the Project Setup level tasks. I have a column formula where I am extracting the parent name and then viewing the lanes with that, but that is pulling everything at the Task 3 level too. How can I get it to just be the highest parent task that is NOT project name?

Answers

• Jake Kenyon
    Jake Kenyon ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you add a hierarchy column using the formula =COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1 (don't need to do plus one, I just like to start at level one) this will allow you to write a formula based on what "level" of hierarchy each task is at. You can then use =IF(Hierarchy@row = 2, [Task Name]@row, IF(Hierarchy@row > 2, INDEX(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row), 2))) which should always pull the Project Setup level of tasks. Let me know if that works!

• chlod24
    chlod24 ✭✭
    Options

thanks! I actually already have a Hierarchy Level column so that's a fantastic work around.

When I use your formula, it only returns a result for the rows at that Project Setup hierarchy level. But I would need it to pull that value for all of the subtasks too, in order for them to display correctly in the card view.

example of what I am trying to get the formula to return -

• Jake Kenyon
    Jake Kenyon ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry to hear that. You applied the formula as a column formula, right? I have it setup on a sheet exactly the same and it does work in the manner you described even with multiple subtask layers. A lot of people don't add +1 to the end of their hierarchy formula, so you may need to change the 2s in that formula to 1s potentially? Let me know if that gives you any luck.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!