Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Numbers only column

Options
KDTaylor
KDTaylor âś­âś­

There should be an option to make a column numbers only. I've had trouble with sum functions, only to find that people have made 'non-numeric' entries in fields that are intended only for dollar amounts. When this happens, I have to go in and find all the non-numeric entries and delete them to get the sum function to work. It should be easy to limit a column to numbers only to prevent these issues.

66 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We are also thinking about how to super-charge column management! It's not currently part of our plan but we will make updates to this status if we believe we can make this idea a reality.

Comments

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

I love this idea. The data validation portion of this, I can see being very valuable.

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• MKing
    MKing âś­âś­
    Options

Yes I totally agree. It has a huge effect on Reporting errors coming up. does my head in. Especially when data is entered by a number of external parties.

• TMC2
    TMC2 âś­âś­
    Options

Currently there is only a text/number option. Despite asking for only a number, people don't always listen and put in characters when only numbers are asked for. If characters are used, it will break any math based formula. By adding a number only column it will alleviate corrections needed.

• Jivi3
    Jivi3 âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Can you a column property to be a numbers only field? We have run into multiple instances where this would have been handy instead of having to do a checkbox to reflect an error for validation and a note on how to correct the issue (adding essentially 2 extra columns every time there is a validation like this)

• KDTaylor
    KDTaylor âś­âś­
    Options

This feature is still needed. Any update? I know the comment "We are also thinking about how to super-charge column management! It's not currently part of our plan but we will make updates to this status if we believe we can make this idea a reality." was added, but it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to have a numbers only validation.

• mariahneu
    mariahneu âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

It would be great if a column could be defined as either a string or a number, especially when working with Tax IDs, numbers with leading zeroes, etc. Please add this feature. Thanks!

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn âś­âś­âś­
    edited 04/03/24
    Options

@mariahneu this is already part of SmartSheet.

When you create a new column, you can choose the "Text/Number" style. Also, if you "Edit Column Properties" by right-clicking on the column header (or double-clicking the column header), you should be able to select "Text/Number" if you already chose something else.

As a test I created a "test" column in my sheet with the "Text/Number" style. Even if I enter a pure number but with leading zeros, the zeros are not removed.

• mariahneu
    mariahneu âś­âś­âś­âś­
    edited 04/03/24
    Options

This idea is related to this issue in Smartsheet where a single quote keeps getting added when a 0 precedes an integer regardless of the entry method for the cell’s value (e.g., when the values are imported into Smartsheet from an Excel file, when the values are copied and pasted into Smartsheet or when the values are manually entered). Smartsheet does this to convert an integer to text, but this could be resolved by giving users the ability to define the column as a string or as a number, not as Text/Number. https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/428152#Comment_428152

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn âś­âś­âś­
    edited 04/03/24
    Options

@mariahneu, ok that's starting to make sense now. I get the apostrophe as well, but I guess I ignore it as I am so used to dealing with it with Excel macros. And you know Excel ain't changin' their tune anytime soon ;)

• Cathy Salscheider
    Cathy Salscheider âś­âś­âś­
    edited 04/12/24
    Options

I found a separate request in community to support negative number formatting with parentheses. It would make sense that if making a numeric only column type then standard numeric formatting should be supported too!