WBS numbering

Options

SmartSheet introduced me a template showing WBS numbering which reflects "Task" column indent like 1, 1.1, 1.1.1.

This formula is "=IF(Prefix@row <> "", Prefix@row, "") + Suffix@row”.

It works on the template. I copied and past the formula to the other sheet but does not work. I attached screen shots.

Anything wrong?

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Does your other sheet have columns called Prefix and Suffix?

This formula

=IF(Prefix@row <> "", Prefix@row, "") + Suffix@row

Says if the cell on the current row in the column called Prefix is not equal to "" (i.e. is not empty) then return the value of the cell on the current row in the column called Prefix.

If that is not true (i.e. the cell is empty) return "" (nothing).

Then add to that, the value in the cell on the current row in the column called Suffix.

If you do not have the columns Prefix and Suffix, the formula will not work.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Does your other sheet have columns called Prefix and Suffix?

This formula

=IF(Prefix@row <> "", Prefix@row, "") + Suffix@row

Says if the cell on the current row in the column called Prefix is not equal to "" (i.e. is not empty) then return the value of the cell on the current row in the column called Prefix.

If that is not true (i.e. the cell is empty) return "" (nothing).

Then add to that, the value in the cell on the current row in the column called Suffix.

If you do not have the columns Prefix and Suffix, the formula will not work.

• toshiaki
    Options

The columns, Prefix and Suffix on the template were hidden do I could not undestand.

Now I understand. Thank you for yor answer.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's great. Glad I could help.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!