Allow multiple contacts per cell AND Restrict to list values only - Not Working

Options
mzpjames
mzpjames ✭✭✭
edited 04/08/24 in Smartsheet Basics

If I have a "contact" type column where I want to "allow multiple contacts" AND "restrict the list to the values" I've added to the column, then the list is not available. If I turn off the "allow multiple..." option, then it works as it should.

Is there a restriction on contact type columns that disallows using both of these options together?

Here, you can see it works correctly if the "Allow multiple contacts per cell" option is turned off:

Here, you can see it doesn't work, if I turn both options on:

I have tried this on multiple sheets and multiple columns, but I see the same problem on all of them.

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @mzpjames

The dropdown selection you're seeing in that screen capture is a list of possible options to choose from - at this point you would need to click on the contact you want to then add it to the column.

For example, this column has no values selected as possible dropdown options:

I can then use that search bar to pull up a list of everyone shared to the sheet, my personal contacts, and my organization contacts to select from. You can either scroll through all options or start typing to filter possibilities:

However until a direct contact is clicked on and selected, it isn't a part of this column's dropdown list.

I've clicked on 3 values, so now these 3 contacts show up in the column under the search bar, before the "OK" button, indicating they're associated with this column.

If I then click the search bar again I can add more. Does that make sense?

Can you test adding 2 contacts (any 2), then clicking OK, and see if those two then appear in the cell when both restrictions are in place?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• mzpjames
    mzpjames ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Voila! That is the answer! I would have never guessed at that sequence, so I really appreciate your response :)

So, to summarize, the steps are:

1. Enter Contacts into the Contact List (If you have any in your My Smartsheet Contacts list or elsewhere on the sheet, they will already show in this list. I will call this the "general contact list".
    2. For each Contact, that you want to be part of the "Restrict to list values only" list, you must now "Click" on each one of them.
    3. When done, each of the Contacts you clicked on (from the "general" list), will now be part of the "restrictive" list.

From a visual perspective, here is what the "general" Contact List looks like:

This is what the "selected" (restrictive) list looks like:

With the only visual difference being that the "general list" appears to "pop-over" the chosen/restrictive list (just a little bit) (highlighted in yellow below):

Thanks!

Paul

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @mzpjames

It looks like there are no contacts set up in the multi-select column - is it possible that in your tests the columns weren't fully configured just yet?

The reason I'm asking is the screen capture you have above... instead of jumping right from the "Add contacts" search bar to "OK":

You should see a list of the contacts you've added:

Would you try adding some values in the column and test having both checked again?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• mzpjames
    mzpjames ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

I appreciate your response! There are actually a lot of contacts in the list, I just forgot to include a screenshot:

However, as soon as I enabled both options ("Allow multiple..." and "Restrict to list...."), Smartsheet acts like there are NO entries in the list.

Any additional questions or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @mzpjames

The dropdown selection you're seeing in that screen capture is a list of possible options to choose from - at this point you would need to click on the contact you want to then add it to the column.

For example, this column has no values selected as possible dropdown options:

I can then use that search bar to pull up a list of everyone shared to the sheet, my personal contacts, and my organization contacts to select from. You can either scroll through all options or start typing to filter possibilities:

However until a direct contact is clicked on and selected, it isn't a part of this column's dropdown list.

I've clicked on 3 values, so now these 3 contacts show up in the column under the search bar, before the "OK" button, indicating they're associated with this column.

If I then click the search bar again I can add more. Does that make sense?

Can you test adding 2 contacts (any 2), then clicking OK, and see if those two then appear in the cell when both restrictions are in place?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• mzpjames
    mzpjames ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

I will try this out and let you know :)

Thanks!

Paul

• mzpjames
    mzpjames ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Voila! That is the answer! I would have never guessed at that sequence, so I really appreciate your response :)

So, to summarize, the steps are:

1. Enter Contacts into the Contact List (If you have any in your My Smartsheet Contacts list or elsewhere on the sheet, they will already show in this list. I will call this the "general contact list".
    2. For each Contact, that you want to be part of the "Restrict to list values only" list, you must now "Click" on each one of them.
    3. When done, each of the Contacts you clicked on (from the "general" list), will now be part of the "restrictive" list.

From a visual perspective, here is what the "general" Contact List looks like:

This is what the "selected" (restrictive) list looks like:

With the only visual difference being that the "general list" appears to "pop-over" the chosen/restrictive list (just a little bit) (highlighted in yellow below):

Thanks!

Paul

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Yes exactly!! You got it! 🎉