Lower Conditional Formatting Rules Taking Priority Over Higher Rules

Hi,

I'm working on a sheet with conditional formatting now. I have two rules that specify font characteristics. The top rule specifies bold font, and the lower rule specifies strikethrough.

When a row meets both rules' criteria, the font is both strikethrough and bold, while I want the font to be just bold with no strikethrough. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SmartsheetUser3050

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée,

Here are some screenshots of the formatting issues and the associated rules.

The top row (in blue) meets both rules. The gray rows do not meet the top rule but do meet the bottom rule.

I did find a solution to add a conditional formatting rule that if both conditions are met for both rules, that it will format the rows appropriately. However, the functionality is counterintuitive, so I want to ensure I'm not making an error.

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it might be working normally, and you may have to choose a different formatting method if you want the parent rows not to have strikethrough. The conditional formatting rules can actively apply a Bold/Italic/Underline/Strikethrough format, but I don't think there's a way to make a conditional formatting rule REMOVE those four. So from Smartsheet's point of view, the strikethrough from the bottom rule is not conflicting with the top rule. The top rule simply says to add the bold format, it doesn't (can't?) instruct Smartsheet to remove the strikethrough.

• Courtney,

I think you're correct here. With strikethrough not selected on my top rule, I think of it as "turning off" strikethrough. However, Smartsheet likely thinks that the top rule is just "not activating" strikethrough rather than "turning it off".