Update Requests - automatically pull in cell values

Options
Cathy Betzer
Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 04/09/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I need help with update requests:

I use automations which include cell values when {{task name}} are used but I can't figure out how to include the cell value in an Update Request. For example:

Please click the blue button and update this form with the leased FTE for {{Provider First}} {{Provider Last}} at xxxx. Please confirm this xxxx should be associated with {{Contract it applies to}}.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cathy

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @Cathy

That looks correct! 🙂

As long as the values between {{these}} correspond with the exact title of a column in your sheet, it should bring in the cell value into your message.

Is your workflow change-based or time-based?

• If there are placeholders entered in the custom message for a time-based Update Request, no custom message is sent.
    • Placeholders in Update Requests actions in change-based workflows generate separate notifications if six or fewer rows are triggered simultaneously. If seven or more rows are triggered at once, the system removes the custom subject and body.

Here's more information: Tips for working with placeholders

Let me know if this helps explain the behaviour you're seeing!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve. I send update requests manually and use the exact column names between Brackets. And they are not pulling in the content from the cells. Also they are not time-based so that's why I'm a bit unsure of why the column names are not pulling in. See the example below. It should have pulled in the provider's name.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I believe {{Placeholders}} only work with Automations and not with manually sending.