Is there a way to populate a Report based on Project or owner?

Options
lee17_roy
lee17_roy
edited 04/12/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm trying to create a report based on projects and owners. For example, I might have ten projects and multiple owners of each project. I can populate the project list but cannot find a way to include Owner

My steps so far:

Create Report

Sheet Summary report

Select projects I'd like to include, this could be single or multiple - Click Next

Options don't include Owner?

I've tried to select Project Manager but again I'm struggling to see how the Project Manager is populated in Smartsheets as I cannot see a field which corresponds

In short, I'd like a single report, based on the projects I select and the owner / project manager of each project.

Help appreciated 🙋‍♂️

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @lee17_roy

The first screenshot your shared looks to be a view of your folder. The owner column there indicates who owns the smartsheet. It isn't a field within the sheet, it is used to identify ownership of the file, not the project. It won't appear in the sheet reports.

Project manager is a column heading within your sheet. That is why it appears in the dropdown you can select from. You can include that column in your report. If you have selected multiple sheets, the Project Manager column might not be in all of them, which is why you may not be able to see it on a particular sheet. Or it could be a hidden column.

There is not a specific column type for project manager. It is not a system generated field. It could be a Text/Number field, it could be a dropdown list, it most likely is a contact list. Someone will have added a column to the sheet and called it Project Manager (this may have been added in a template you downloaded, or added when the sheet was created). It is a column just like any of the others.

Does that help?

• lee17_roy
    Options

Thank you that does make sense.

Do you know of a way to create the report based on Ownership of the file?

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is not an option in the report functionality to include the sheet owner in the same way as you report on the contents of a sheet but there may be options for sys admins to report on ownership. I don't have experience of this, but there might be answers here:

• lee17_roy
    Options

Appreciate the response. Have a great day

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hope you find a solution.