Duplicating sheets to have different conditional formatting on reports

Options

I have 5 different sheets representing 5 different projects in 1 program of work. So I am creating reports to bring those 5 sheets together to get a program level view.

For one report, I want to see timings in a gantt view and color the bars based on the project sheet. However, I can't do this without changing the conditional formatting on each individual sheet to make every rows task bar the same color, which makes the gantt view on the sheets less useful.

So it seems like I have to duplicate these sheets to be able to set those different conditional formatting rules to create this other view.

How can I set up a duplicate of these sheets so that it is a live link to the original sheet - even if we add new rows etc, it is always a accurate live duplicate?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @chlod24

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.