Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Option to Create New Sheet/Report/etc without using Solution Center

Options

When I'm working within a sheet, often, I need to create a related sheet or report, and I know what I need and do not need assistance from the Solution Center. I don't understand why there isn't a choice to use it or not when you select "Create New" from the file dropdown. The Solution Center is a great thing, but I just want to create a new sheet from scratch without having to back all of the way out of the sheet or report I'm already in.

Also, if I am at the Solution Center, it would be nice to have the option of just creating a plain sheet, etc. without creating an entirely new workspace for it to go in.

Thank you!

2 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Janelle Alexander

Thank you for your feedback about the Solution Center and the File > Create New selection.

As an alternative, if you're working in a Sheet in a Workspace, you could use the Workspace Panel to create a new item in that same Workspace! 🙂

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Janelle Alexander
    Janelle Alexander âś­âś­âś­
    Options

How do I get to that menu? I don't have that on the left panel...

Thanks!

• AndrĂ©e StarĂĄ
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Janelle Alexander

I hope you're well and safe!

You must browse a Workspace to see that menu.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

âś…Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Janelle Alexander
    Janelle Alexander âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Thank you! That brings back my original point of it would be much faster and easier if I could create a new blank sheet from within the sheet that I'm already working like we could before the Solution Center was implemented, and/or if there was a way from inside the Solution Center to create a blank sheet, etc. without creating an entire new workspace.

The way it is right now makes it very convoluted for me to easily create a blank sheet or report without navigating back to the workspace.

Maybe if there were two options in the File dropdown--one for creating a blank sheet/report, etc and one for creating a new solution.

• kenalea_lawing24
    Options

Our product manger just sent me this link to join. I was concerned when logging in to create a new sheet for my team of all the changes. So I will give it a try and clicked for New, Grid, added my work title name and clicked to open and it just spun on saving, still spinning after over 5+ minutes. I am a very simple user and all our work since 2020 for my team I create Smartsheet's for my team. I am worried now and not sure this is going to work any longer. It is still spinning as it is Saving..... I need the sheet just as Genevieve P. has in her screen shot above. How do I get those sheets again? Thank you, Kenalea

• kenalea_lawing24
    Options

I think I found it now Will reach back out if I have any questions.

• EHatch
    EHatch âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Chiming in here as a smartsheet user for many years. I am experiencing the same issue. In the past, I could just click File and Create New in a sheet, report, whatever and it would create a new smartsheet item WITHOUT also creating a new workspace.

Glad to learn how to do this now from an existing workspace but a few things - I must have missed the email about this change? It would have been good to know without all the frustration. Also, why the change? Why remove that capability? Why is the default a entirely new workspace as opposed to the current workspace? OR have the system ask - Hey, do you want this item created in the current workspace, a new workspace or different workspace if creating from a sheet, report, whatever. It was so much easier and fewer steps before.