Default notifications when someone has been assigned to a row.

Options
Alicia D
Alicia D ✭✭
edited 04/12/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to have smartsheet default to letting someone know that they have been assigned to a row? I know that you can set up an automation workflow to achieve this, but with the amount of projects we have going on across many different users, the chances of everyone going in to set up the automation and do it correctly is not super practical. It would be nice if there was just a default for this?

If there is not, would I be able to create the workflow as part of a template without them going in and having to activate the workflow? Could it just automatically be an active workflow if they pull the template?

Lastly, for those that don't have a license, are they able to create automation workflows?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Alicia D

Any time you set up a Contact column and add a Contact value into a cell in your sheet for the first time, you should see a pop-up asking if you want to enable this exact workflow:

All you have to do is click "Enable"!

You are also correct that you could create a workflow like this (perhaps with specific criteria) in a template sheet that everyone could copy instead. There are a number of workflow templates you can use to get started.

In order to create a workflow you will need to be licensed with at least Admin permissions. Here's more information:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Alicia D
    Options

Hello @Genevieve P. thanks for the answer. I do not see this pop up, but it may be because we use a template any time we create a project, rather than creating it from scratch. But that would be really helpful if it popped up.

If I were to create a workflow in the template, would they need to enable it for it to work or would it just automatically be active any time they created a new project from the template?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Alicia D

If you use a Template type of Smartsheet item, you will want to ensure you select your preferred Workflow settings when creating the Template. Then yes, it would be automatically enabled when a new sheet is created from that Template.

However if you just have a sheet that someone is copying, then enabling workflows is an option that the user can select or de-select when creating the copy.

The top-level is selected by default, so if your user did not change anything within these settings, then again - yes! Workflows would be automatically enabled.

Cheers,

Genevieve