Creating a team task management workspace.

I'm not sure if I'm limited by Smartsheets currrent capability, or by my own understanding of how it works, but I'm hung up on creating a task management workspace.

My individual needs are:

Isolated sheet that my team members can manage on their own, with my own ability to edit and view the sheet. This is their individual task list.

Combined sheet that is automatically updating based on the information on the individual task lists. Ideally this will allow for a column for assigned resource (coming from the individual task sheet) so that I can use the resource management view.

I've tried this a variety of ways.

In one instance I copied over all tasks on each individual sheet, to the combined sheet using a one time automation. This worked for that first time, but result in duplicates (if I copy changes from the individual sheet, to the group sheet), or a lot of manual copying and pasting/updating, or it's immediately of date once someone updates it. Additionally the resource view then shows two of the same task per resource, one coming from the combined sheet, and one from the "other sheet".

In another instance, I had everyone exist on one master sheet that was filtered to the current user, but there's no way to default or restrict to the filtered view. So the team was able to see/edit everyone's tasks, and they would have to remember to go to the filtered view to see only their things.

I tried the dynamic views. This is the closest I could get, but the means to edit the information in the dynamic view becomes much harder as a task list. Smartsheet by nature feels very "excel", the dynamic view makes it feel much more like a form.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @DKahmer

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend using WorkApps. Then, you can have a report by the current user, who can only see what they can access.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hey Andree,

I don't think that would work given it's an additional license need. I was hoping there would be a solution within the default Smartsheet licensing. Seems more and more that I'm pushing what's possible with Smartsheet.

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DKahmer

Happy to help!

If you and your team have Enterprise licenses, WorkApps is included.

Which Smartsheet plan do you and the team have?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå Only the Business license.

It's not what I wanted, but I ended up doing a single sheet that everyone works on. I added in filters by active user so they aren't touching other peoples stuff. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but is working for what I need.

Thanks again for the help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DKahmer

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

You could also add a current user report to secure it a little more and make it simpler for them to work on their tasks.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!