Notification: Changes in Sheet

Options
KatieS3941
KatieS3941 ✭✭✭
edited 04/28/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I created an automation to move all rows from one sheet to a new, archived sheet once the task is marked complete. During videos I watched and in my test runs, I was under the impression that old tasks marked complete wouldn't move and I would have to do that manually. I was wrong, and instead of moving over 1,400 rows, it moved 2,600 rows. I have read online that you can't do a remove duplicates on Smartsheet, so I'll figure out a way around it. Here's my question. Can I turn off all notifications for just today while I'm deleting 1,400 rows? I don't want my manager and myself to receive 1,400 emails. You can see all of the changes made in the activity log and I'm going to email her one email on what I'm doing. When I created the new archive and moved all the rows from the original sheet to the new archive I received hundreds of emails. I know how to turn my email notifications off. Thanks.

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @KatieS3941

You can temporarily deactivate the workflow that sends the notifications. Go to automations, then manage workflows, find the work flow and click on the three dots to the right, then move the Deactivate slider:

The automation will then show as Inactive:

You will need to reactivate it when you're done.

A quick way to remove duplicates could be to use a formula that checks a box if certain details are repeated (ideally a unique identifier) and then delete all the rows with the checked box. Make a copy of your sheet first though! If you need help, share a sample of your data (hiding anything that should not appear online) and I will see what I can do.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @KatieS3941

You can temporarily deactivate the workflow that sends the notifications. Go to automations, then manage workflows, find the work flow and click on the three dots to the right, then move the Deactivate slider:

The automation will then show as Inactive:

You will need to reactivate it when you're done.

A quick way to remove duplicates could be to use a formula that checks a box if certain details are repeated (ideally a unique identifier) and then delete all the rows with the checked box. Make a copy of your sheet first though! If you need help, share a sample of your data (hiding anything that should not appear online) and I will see what I can do.

• KatieS3941
    KatieS3941 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No problem. Good luck!