Is it possible to allow users to create custom alerts?

Options

We are asking users to complete a form sharing meeting notes, recaps, updates etc. from association meetings/conferences they attend. The entries and any attachments are stored in a Smartsheet grid that we make visible to a broader company audience.

We would like to give users from that broader audience the ability to create custom push notifications for specific content such as entries related to a specific association, specific keywords, or meeting types. Example: Maybe I want an email when someone creates an entry with the meeting type "Smartsheet Training" or when an entry is created for a "Board Meeting". Maybe my colleague wants to be notified any time someone enters meeting notes from a Smartsheet training session that contains specific text like "Dynamic Views", "Forms", or "Formulas". Is this possible? IF so, how do we do this?

Best Answer

• PCG Sam Harwart
    PCG Sam Harwart ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @TBrandl ,

Generally no, each user can't have a custom set of notifications off of a sheet. Automations are not user-specific. There may be a workaround though.

Do your users have licenses? They could create a report that shows them the topics they care about using filters for Meeting Report Type or text that contains their own personal keywords.

Or if they don't, you could create contact groups and set up automations that are distributed to the contact groups when different criteria is met. For that, you might want to build a sign-up sheet that lets users decide which notification contact groups they'd like to join.

Just a couple of quick thoughts!

Cheers,
    Sam

-
    primeconsulting.com | Smartsheet's 2023 Partner of the Year for North America
    Want to chat about a Smartsheet problem you're facing? Grab time on my calendar here: Schedule a Discovery Call!

Answers

• PCG Sam Harwart
    PCG Sam Harwart ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @TBrandl ,

Generally no, each user can't have a custom set of notifications off of a sheet. Automations are not user-specific. There may be a workaround though.

Do your users have licenses? They could create a report that shows them the topics they care about using filters for Meeting Report Type or text that contains their own personal keywords.

Or if they don't, you could create contact groups and set up automations that are distributed to the contact groups when different criteria is met. For that, you might want to build a sign-up sheet that lets users decide which notification contact groups they'd like to join.

Just a couple of quick thoughts!

Cheers,
    Sam

-
    primeconsulting.com | Smartsheet's 2023 Partner of the Year for North America
    Want to chat about a Smartsheet problem you're facing? Grab time on my calendar here: Schedule a Discovery Call!

• TBrandl
    TBrandl ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. That's very helpful. I will explore those options to see what meets our needs.