How to get a distinct list of assignees in my project plan

Marc Shecter
Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi —

How can I display a unique list of assignees for each project phase from the phase column, ensuring each name appears only once per phase, even if they are assigned multiple tasks?

Thanks,

Marc

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Marc Shecter,

You can use JOIN/DISTINCT to do that:

=JOIN(DISTINCT(Assignee:Assignee), CHAR(10))

Putting this in a Contact Column doesn't seem to flow the contact info into the cell however. I'm unsure if there's a way to allow for that unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• Marc Shecter
    Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the response @bisaacs — Can you tell me more of what how that solution will help me? it's not clear to me.

-Marc

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Marc Shecter,

I guess I might be confused by your original request. I thought you just wanted a distinct list of every person assigned in the assignee column. Can you clarify what you're hoping to achieve?

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• Marc Shecter
    Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @bisaacs —You pretty much nailed what I want to do. In addition I want to group the assignees by a value in a single selection column called 'phase'. I just don't know how to operationalize what you provided.

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Marc Shecter,

Hmmm so you want the distinct assignees for each specific phase? How do you have your sheet laid out at the moment (and where do you want the list of assignees on the sheet)? Please remember to remove/hide any sensitive data.

That'll help me have a better understanding of how you are wanting this information to be displayed.

• Marc Shecter
    Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @bisaacs

Thanks for continuing to dig into this with me.

My goal is to see (within a report would be nice) something like this:

Assignees Grouped by Phase

• Strategy
      • Person A
      • Person B
      • Person C
    • Define
      • Person A
      • Person B
      • Person C
    • Plan

In the image below, you can see my project plan. People A, B, and C are assigned to many work items. I need a distinct list of them grouped by phase.

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/15/24

Hey @Marc Shecter,

What about using a Sheet Summary Field, then creating a sheet summary report from those summaries? Create a different summary field for each Phase, then use JOIN/DISTINCT/COLLECT to list out all the contacts in the field. From there use a Sheet Summary Report to return back the summaries?

Here's the formula I used in the sheet summary that seemed to work:

=JOIN(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Assignee:Assignee, Phase:Phase, "Phase 1")), CHAR(10))

Hope this helps!