Seperate Name

Below is a formula I found here in the Community. While the first name worked, the last name didn't. Well, it did but the comma is appearing. I also noticed that if the hyphenated name is lenghty, it only returns the first part of the last name, the dash and first letter.

I also have names that are pretty lenghty that includes preferred names in parenthesis for example:

Neely (Jenn), Jennifer Genelle

Should be Jennifer Neely.

I need just a first and last name yielded. Any help will be appreciated.

Name

First

Last

Doe-Smith, Jasmine Marie

Jasmne Marie

Doe-Smith,

=RIGHT(NAME@row, LEN(NAME@row) - FIND(" ", NAME@row))

=LEFT(NAME@row, FIND(" ", NAME@row) - 1)

Tags:

Best Answer

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/17/24 Answer ✓

You only have it looking for the space and not the comma. Try.

=Left(Name@row,Find(", ",Name@row)-2)

How ever due to the nature of how the names are created. The only consistent thing that can be pulled is the first name.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/17/24 Answer ✓

You only have it looking for the space and not the comma. Try.

=Left(Name@row,Find(", ",Name@row)-2)

How ever due to the nature of how the names are created. The only consistent thing that can be pulled is the first name.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• jgneely72151
    jgneely72151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your help and feedback!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!