Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Rich Text Formatting in email notifications (and Update Requests)

Comments

• BB2791
    BB2791 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to use Smartsheet to send emails to new hires. The formatting without rich text for notifications is truly lacking and doesn't give a good first impression.

• Luke L
    Luke L ✭✭
    edited 08/21/24

Adding a more recent thumbsup to this one! Being able to format the contents of the email in an update automation would be fantastic as opposed to making an update automation based on each type of submission. Also, while I'm at it, it would be REALLY helpful if while filling out the subject or the body of an email in the automation, if I could just select from a list of fields to inject, rather than having to manually type in '{{' and then guess what I called the field I want to reference.

The default text is handy but useless in terms of reminding myself or 'automating' the insertion of the field I want to reference.

• H Hill
    H Hill ✭✭

I can see from previous posts this is something many people have requested within Smartsheets, the ability to format the text in the customize message section allows us to highlight/draw attention to certain words to improve the delivery of the message. Please can this update be implemented.

• Paula_
    Paula_ ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/21/24

I love the automation opportunities with Smartsheet, but as I have seen some previous commentary/questions about being able to actually format how the emails look more would be a HUGE help. Some of these we would like to go to various leaders and without being able to customize more or even build a more corporate style templated email is a hinderance to it's full utilization. Often times we want to pull in data from a sheet, but not link to the sheet itself, but have very limited ways to do that. Even some initial basics of paragraph layout/spacing, text bolding or link formatting, color of text etc. would be a big step forward.

• MHalvey
    MHalvey ✭✭✭✭✭

I have voted for this idea to be added into Smartsheet. I came looking for solutions for this same request a team member just asked me. Having the ability of rich text formatting like underlining or bolding certain words in a Alert message. Hopefully this gets added as it seems like basic functionality you'd expect to be there.

Michael Halvey

"Strive for Progress, not Perfection."

• Hyperlinks:

including to add hyperlinks in the email that can show a different name than the destination web address ,

Highlighting Text

Bolding Text

Underline Text

Italicize text

Add photos

Add uploads!

Attachments function never works to email —— so frustrating

• Would be great if emails/automations could be formatted to be bold, italics and underlined.

• A.J.
    A.J. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody from SS staff that could comment on this…? It's been a topic for 2 years.

• I would love to see this happen - I use smartsheet for audits and it would be helpful to mark things in bold and different font colors as well as embedding hyperlinks. How can we push this one up on the wishlist?

• Thank you @amhba for saving my day!!

• Bump & a +1 vote for all of the functionality outlined in this thread. Rich text formatting, branding options (logo/colour scheme), and hyperlinks in the Automated alerts function. It's such a great product, this would be icing on the cake.

• AWynne
    AWynne ✭✭✭

Adding my vote to this thread! Don't underestimate how much some simple formatting to emails can improve a recipients experience. While it would be way easier to just have a formatting bar directly on the workflow editor screen, I'd also be fine if Smartsheet supported HTML (or a similar coding language) to be able to turn a notifications plain text into rich text formats.

Smartsheet Team - The last update here was almost a year ago. Can anyone comment on the status of this enhancement idea and/or what it would take to have this officially added to the roadmap?