Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Rich Text Formatting in email notifications (and Update Requests)

Hi,

unfortunately I heard from Andree that is still not possible to

format text in update requests or email notifications f.e. bold, italic, underlined as well as putting URL-links to certain words or make quotations.

I regret this because I find it a very important function and hope you will agree and find a solution.

Hope to hear from you, soon. Thank you.

94 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We love this idea too! While it's not a part of our current plan, this is exactly the kind of thing our team is thinking about every day. If we believe we can make this idea a reality, we'll plan to update the status here.

Comments

• Hi, I would appreciate if it is possible to mark email text in bold, underline or italic

Thank you

• Pam Ferguson
    Pam Ferguson Overachievers Alumni

It would be great to easily add a weblink in an automatic notification, without having to enter a long web address. Sometimes based on items that are entered, we must redirect users to another site, or one outside of Smartsheet (gasp, I know...), but it would be great to have a cleaner way to enter it.

• I fully support this feature request! I'm also interested in the ability to format text within the message fields and provide links without seeing he long web address.

I recently encountered this scenario when I created a workflow as part of an event registration process. On the specified date, the workflow will send an update request to prompt the user to visit a website (lunch menu) to choose what they want to eat and then return to the update request form to submit their lunch request.

In the update request message field, I place the link on its own line. Outlook (and some other email services) may automatically create the hyperlink.

However, the the actual web form does not indicate that the text should be a link. I imagine that some recipients may skip the step to click the link in the email, but the web form doesn't indicate that the text is a link (though the user can copy link, paste into browser).

• swilliams
    swilliams ✭✭✭

Please add rich text formatting to automation emails. Ideally, allowing images, but even just plain formatting would be nice because we're forced to export as .csv and then use mail merge. Word has just terrible problems with sending dynamic hyperlinks, and Smartsheet is great for that, but we're stuck using the bad solution that works instead of the potentially great solution that doesn't because we can't bulletize lists, include formatted signatures, etc...

Thanks!

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a great improvement. The ability to call out and organize how information is displayed within the text of message would improve UI for us.

• A.J.
    A.J. ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any update on this since July? Any chance this will come with the newly updated Sheets in early 2024?

• BB2791
    BB2791 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to use Smartsheet to send emails to new hires. The formatting without rich text for notifications is truly lacking and doesn't give a good first impression.

• H Hill
    H Hill ✭✭

I can see from previous posts this is something many people have requested within Smartsheets, the ability to format the text in the customize message section allows us to highlight/draw attention to certain words to improve the delivery of the message. Please can this update be implemented.