Assistance pulling information from one sheet to another automatically

Options

Hello, SmartSheet Community! I could use your help.

I have created an example of my problem below. The actual sheets have many more columns. Sheet A needs information sorted by Person Name; Sheet B has information sorted by Pet Type.

Sheet A - This is where I would like information to be filled in automatically based on what is in sheet B.

Sheet B - This is where the Sheet A should draw information from. When new rows are added to Sheet B, I would like the appropriate rows in Sheet A to be automatically updated. So, if Fred is added as a Cat Sitter in Sheet B, Sheet A should update to show Fred as a Fish and Cat Sitter.

←- What Sheet A should look like when information is automatically collected from Sheet B

I've tried vlookup and indexmatch functions, but I can't seem to get it right. Sticking points seem to be having multiple names in a single cell in Sheet B and getting the different pet types into a single cell in Sheet A. I'd rather not have to purchase an extra feature, like data shuttle. I feel like I should be able to use a combination of formulas and automations.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Answers

• Protonspounge
    Protonspounge ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can I clarity in your 3rd picture - are you looking for the pet names to go in to the Sitter column and owner column or is there an error in that image?

• SmartieSheet
    Options

Hi Protonspounge, thanks for replying!

Allow me to try to clarify, the final result I'm looking for (picture 3) is: Sheet A will have Person Names in the first column and pet types in the following two columns. For example, Abby is a dog owner and can be a hamster-sitter. Betty owns a cat and fish and does not pet-sit for any type of animal. (There are no pet names.)

I hope that helps!

• Protonspounge
    Protonspounge ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @SmartieSheet - I am not 100% sure on your data flow… apologies for the confusion but I think something in this direction could be helpful for you…

So in sheet A you have peoples names and you want to bring in more than 1 or more animals based upon data in another sheet.

Sheet A for example

If in sheet B you could have a column for animal 1 and a separate column for animal 2 as per below

you could use the following formula to bring in the two animals based upon the name using INDEX/COLLECT and if you set the column to wrap text, the two animals will sit on top of each other in a cell like the image below.

=INDEX(COLLECT({01_Another Sheet_Animal 1}, {01_Another Sheet_Owner_1}, [Person Name]@row), 1) + CHAR(10) + INDEX(COLLECT({01_Another Sheet_Animal 2}, {01_Another Sheet_Owner_1}, [Person Name]@row), 1)

Again, sorry for not following your data flow ask but maybe there is something useful in the above?

• SmartieSheet
    Options

Thank you, @Protonspounge! I appreciate your suggestion. I have limited ability to modify Sheet B, but I am giving it a try. I'll report back :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!