Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Store Update Requests with Conversations or at least with Row

We use the Smartsheet as part of a Billing team workflow. During this workflow we receive intake information from a form.

The billing team reviews and then sends manual update requests (we do have some automated) back to the original requestor for clarification .

If someone on the billing team is looking for the history on what was sent, it becomes searching multiple areas (Update Request panel - since not saved at the row) and then the conversation panel to try and track back what answer went with which question.

I'd like to see if either the update requests are just included with conversations or some other way to keep all the correspondence easier with one row.

2 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Erin Horiuchi Green
    Erin Horiuchi Green ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/31/24

@tovythomas Not sure if this helps.

I have a Smartsheet Form that allows information to be submitted with attachments for process completion monitoring. Some of the Form fields are required and the submission cannot be completed otherwise. I have an auto-number field to register each request uniquely. This forces the Submitter to make sure all information is required (e.g., DeptID, Document ID, …). There should be a Created by, Created Date, Modified By and Modified Date column.

I hit a wall having > 5 Automated Workflows triggered in parallel embedded on the Smartsheet. So, I max out at 5.

1st Automated Workflow copies each new request auto-number into a Historical Smartsheet that has the same fields. Each field is a column formula VLOOKP referencing the Smartsheet Form Grid. As a new request is registered, the Historical Smartsheet will capture the auto-number and update the rows in time with the VLOOKUP embedded as column formulas.

2nd Automated Workflow is "New Request" for row added. I have 2 columns Reviewer and Reviewer Email. The Reviewer Email auto populates as it is a VLOOKUP formula where the array is a cross-reference sheet to the targeted Dept Directory. The Reviewer is automatically emailed about the new request.

The Reviewer is responsible for updating the Status and/or Reviewer Comments as necessary. If the Reviewer has identified insufficient information or attachment, then they have the ability to update the Status, Action Required and Category field. Depending on business complexity I do recommend a sub category as needed for Dashboard reporting visual purposes.

3rd Automation Workflow is "Update Request" for when Status is changed by the Reviewer. The Submitter is automatically notified on the Status registered by the Reviewer with additional fields such as Action Required and Reviewer Comments. One example is the Submitter receives automatic email that Status = Approved, Action Required = No Action and Reviewer Comments = Sent for Processing. A second example is Submitter receives automatic email where Status = Under Review, Action Required = Pending Documentation and Reviewer Comments = Document Incomplete. A third example is Submitter receives automatic email where Status =Approved, Action Required = Pending Vendor Setup and Reviewer Comments = Missing W-9. It is very critical that the picklist options for Status, Action Required and Reviewer Comments have strict guidelines as this will impact Dashboard reporting visuals.

4th Automation Workflow is an Update Request. After the Submitter addresses the Action Required, then the Submitter updates the Status to Request Review with Submitter Comments. Reviewer receives automatic email to review once again with Submitter Comments.

Basically, 3rd and 4th Automation Workflows is the cyclical communication mechanism where the Reviewer holds the Submitter accountable to provide all information required, complete and to date.

A 4th Automation Workflow is an Update Request with specialized messaging for when the Status = Approved, Action Required = No Action and Reviewer Comments = Sent for Processing. Specialized messaging can be along the lines of "Thank you for providing all information required for processing. This has been approved for payment".

The final and 5th Automation Workflow is an Update Request with specialized messaging for when the Status = Approved, Action Required = No Action and Reviewer Comments = Processing Completed. Specialized messaging can be along the lines of "Thank you for providing all information required for processing. Payment was approved. All payment are sent via EFT. Please reference the AP Schedule to determine vendor payment receipt".

The entire time the 1st Automation Workflow is updating all the fields in time throughout the entire process.

• tovythomas
    tovythomas ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, that is interesting. In our case (and i may be misunderstanding yours ), the manual update verbiage isn't standard. Much of this is insurance related billing and based on the client or state, there may be nuances that didn't carry over properly so the billing teammate sends out the manual request with the specific info they need.

The option works, just wish you could store it with the row at the least or somehow tie it to the responses at its best.