Updating Resource Manager when tasks are completed early?

Options

I have a number of project plans where someone has completed a task early. For example, we estimated a Technical Consultant would take 6 weeks to meet with various teams. He completed the task in 4 weeks and marked the task complete. The task now shows in the Capacity Plan for the next two weeks, showing that he has no availability.

How are people managing this? Are they going back into each task in the project plan and amending the end date?

Similarly, I completed a task on a project yesterday. It was planned for next week but I had time spare. It's still showing that I need to complete it next Tuesday. I don't want to change too much because the dependant tasks, are planned for Wednesday and Thursday.

Any thoughts on how to manage this quickly and efficiently?

Answers

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tony Platts

I have this same issue with RM. In our instance, I have the Project Owners update the end date of the task that is complete to the actual completion date. You are correct though that this does cause an issue with the overall plan when you are using predecessors because it will change the dates of linked tasks. Hopefully as SS continues the development work on the integration between RM and SS it will be able to look at status or percent complete as a marker for resource planning and management.