Formula to Flag Tasks that are on the Critical and / or Driving Path

Berto_DA
Berto_DA ✭✭
edited 06/14/24 in Formulas and Functions

I'm aware how to highlight these in the Gantt, but if I wanted a checkbox to flag which tasks are on the CP and which ones are on the DP, anyone have an idea how to do that?

Best Answer

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Berto_DA

In the check box column

=IF(Column@row = “DP”,1)

=IF(Colmn@row = “CP”, 1)

Replace with column your looking = what your looking for to flag the check box

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Mmmmmm…. so I need a column that has the text either "DP" or "CP"? And then another column that has the IF statement?

Since I posted, I came up with a solution that begs another from question from me. Here's the question…

1. If a task is NOT on the Critical Path, does that mean by default that the task is Driving Path?
    2. Is it one or the other in all situations?

If yes, then I came up with the following…

— Use the ISCRITICAL function to ID a CP task. =IF(ISCRITICAL([Task Name]@row), 0, 1)

— If the value is "0," then that task is - be default - a Driving Path task.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts. Have a great weekend.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/15/24

@Berto_D

No necessarily about those columns. I was providing the formula’s as an example since I have no further context to the sheet your working with.

Basically the IF(ISCRITICAL(column@row),0,1). Either it’s critical or it’s not. I did not realize CP = critical path and DP= Driving Path

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/15/24

When you enable task dependencies in your project timeline, Smartsheet offers you three ways to visually track key dependencies:

• Critical path shows you which tasks affect the project completion date
    • Summary path shows you which subtasks affect the completion date of a particular summary (parent) row
    • Driving path shows you which predecessor tasks affect the start date of a particular task

You can easily share each of your paths with colleagues and managers to keep them apprised of your project’s status.

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-advanced/critical-summary-and-driving-paths#:~:text=Critical%20path%20shows%20you%20which,date%20of%20a%20particular%20task

• Berto_D
    Berto_D ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!