Conditionally & automatically linking to a new file path once previous action is complete

Relative SmartSheet notice, so will do my best to articulate what I'm trying to achieve!

Prior to final approval, we will be working from a work in progress Sharepoint hosted file.

Once that WIP file is confirmed as approved, I would then like for the all subsequent file links to point to the location of the approved file (which will sit in a different location).

I can obviously input the link to each location, but is there a clever way of subsequently populating the approved link location based on the WIP approval for all future workflow steps?

Thanks

Answers

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hi @happinessstan!

You could accomplish your goal by trying one of the following approaches:

• Using the Smartsheet API: You can use custom code combined with the Smartsheet API to automate this process. Here’s how it can be done:
      • Set up a column in Smartsheet to track the approval status of the WIP file.
      • Write a script that uses the Smartsheet API to automatically update the file links in the relevant rows once the approval status changes. This method allows you to dynamically update the file paths without manual intervention. For more details, refer to the Smartsheet API Documentation.
    • Using Data Shuttle: While Data Shuttle is primarily used for data updates, it can be part of a broader automated workflow to keep data synchronized between SharePoint and Smartsheet. Combined with other automation tools, Data Shuttle can help ensure your data is always up-to-date and accurate.

Additionally, I recommend checking out this discussion related to pulling data into a Smartsheet: Pulling Data into a Smartsheet. For advice from other developers who have used Smartsheet's API, you can also check out relevant discussions on Stack Overflow.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now