Meet Lauren Dominique, our June Member Spotlight! 🎉

Options
Alison Clancy
Alison Clancy Employee
edited 06/26/24 in Member Spotlight

Someone start a drumroll please and let’s all congratulate @Lauren Dominique on being our June Member Spotlight! 

Lauren is an Executive Assistant at Connecticut Children’s in the US and a Smartsheet Community Champion. When she started her current role a few years ago, she had never heard of Smartsheet or used anything like it. Her manager asked her to become the department’s go-to Smartsheet resource, and she began down a road of amazing learning and growth! 

She credits the Community with helping her learn various solutions, like how to create graphs that automatically update on a rolling basis. With a simple search, she found several other members who had the same question, and even better, people who had solutions. “That’s something I’ve learned from the Community - so very often, there’s more than one solution to the problem we’re trying to solve,” she says. “It’s so fun to have people to nerd out with as you talk through all the creative and innovative possibilities!” 

When asked to pick her favorite Smartsheet feature, Lauren says she has two: WorkApps and Dynamic View. 

“I love how WorkApps makes it easy to distinctly package together a variety of Smartsheet tools and resources for a diverse set of collaborators. Similarly, I love how Dynamic View simplifies the process of collecting information from specific users during complex and collaborative projects. It allows us to create very sophisticated underlying sheets while still maintaining a user-friendly interface for the end-user.” 

Recently, Lauren became a Community Champion, and shortly after, spoke at an in-person user group in New York City. In front of a packed house, she showed how she created an invoice management solution, the same solution that inspired her 2023 Community Created Template Showcase. Her favorite part of the day? The audience Q&A. “They had awesome questions and brought an amazing energy,” she explains.

Outside of work, Lauren loves duckpin bowling, singing with her community choir, and attending minor league sporting events. If you’re ever in Hartford, Connecticut, you may even hear her sing the US national anthem at Dunkin' Park, home of the Hartford Yard Goats!  

Thank you Lauren, for all that you do!

---

Do you know someone in the Community who should be next month's Member Spotlight? Nominate them here. 🤩

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Comments

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee
    edited 06/26/24
    Options

So happy to see you on the Member Spotlight @Lauren Dominique. Congrats, and thank you for all that you do in the Community! Also, singing the US national anthem at Dunkin' Park is truly awesome. 🤩

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Zachary Ziegler
    Options

Congrats @Lauren Dominique! Prior to this post, I wasn't really aware that there were distinctions between different types of bowling. I wonder if there is somewhere nearby that serves the Duckpin bowling community haha. Thanks for teaching me something new!

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes! Want to learn more? 🤓

There are SO many kinds of bowling. The traditional bowling everyone usually thinks of (large balls with the 3 finger holes) is called Ten Pin (which is not very that original of a name since both Duckpin and Candlepin bowling also utilize ten pins).

The rules between Ten Pin and Duckpin are pretty similar. I’d say the biggest difference between the two are the balls. Duckpin balls are much smaller (they fit in the palm of your hand) and have no holes in them.

Then, Duckpin and Candlepin have similar balls, but the rules and pins are very different. Instead of the pins with the classic curvature (🎳), Candlepin pins are tall and perfectly straight. Plus, when you knock them down in Candlepin, you’re allowed to keep the fallen pins on the lane and use them to your advantage to knock down others (which is not allowed in either Ten Pin or Duckpin).

Both Candlepin and Duckpin bowling are pretty unique to New England USA (though Duckpin is also pretty popular in Maryland and Candlepin is very popular in Canada).

I come from a long line of Duckpin bowlers, with my dad, uncle, and grandpa all bowling in the televised Men’s ProTour in the 1980s. But sadly, I’d say that Duckpin particularly is a dying sport…I grew up bowling from the young age of 2, and many of the CT houses I bowled at as a kid are now closed. There’s just a handful of houses left.

…Perhaps I should have talked about bowling in my answer to the June Community Question of the Month! 🤣

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Truly, what is more American than Dunkin’ Donuts and baseball?!

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Awesome spotlight! Congratulations, Lauren!

• Daniel Taibleson
    Options

Congrats Lauren :)