Updating a form previously submitted

PeterLatcapital
PeterLatcapital ✭✭✭
edited 06/26/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Our outside partners use a form to submit a claim. Often they need to update or add to the original submission. What would be the best way to do this with the least duplication on the part of our outside partners.

Example: They submitted a claim for a vehicle on June 10 which creates a row in our claim sheet. Now 4 days later they want to add an additional component to the same claim. I would like them to be able to do this without having to recreate all the original identifying information. Anybody got an idea.

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/27/24

Hello @PeterLatcapital,

I'd start by looking at using Update Requests to get additional data. This will only work if you are capturing the additional information in the original row you received the first request in.

If you need to create a new row than there are some options ranging from simple and manual to super automated and somewhat complex. I would need to get more info about your workflow to recommend the best option but in general you could consider:

• Simple: Copy and paste the row you need. If required, manually update needed data and/or send an Update Request.
    • Medium: Copy and paste row, add a column to trigger an automation that (i) clears data from fields that require updates and (ii) then sends an update request to the customer.
    • Complex: Create a workflow that, when a trigger condition is met: (i) copies the row to another Sheet, (ii) clears out data needing an update, (iii) copies that row back to the original Sheet, (iv) sends Update Request to get the required info.

Hope that helps!

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• thank you, Dan,

I need the client to initiate the request to update a previously submitted form without having to enter all the previously entered information. It would be an "add-on" to the claim. They want to add another bolt or gasket that was not previously submitted.

Cheers,