Copy Rows to Another Sheet - Select Row Movement

Options

Hello - I'm curious if there is a way to configure the Copy Rows automation to only included specific rows when moving to another sheet. My understanding is that when a row is copied, all columns are included in the move. Although I can hide not applicable columns, I was wondering if there was a different way of accomplishing this?

I am working on building a template that would be exported from Smartsheet and imported to a separate system. Exporting would display hidden rows, requiring the end user to manually delete these rows with each export. I'm wondering if there is a way to simplify this.

Best Answer

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you are wanting to include only specific rows, include a checkbox or something along those lines, and make your automation trigger on a daily basis, and add a condition where the column is checked - and then tack on an update cell to uncheck that box.

If you're wanting to include only specific columns… this is the hideously ugly and awful workaround I came up with. It involves using premium app Data Shuttle:

On your origin sheet, move or copy whatever rows you want to a "staging" sheet. Schedule it at a time of day - say 6:00am. At 7:00am (delayed from the move/copy row so that there's time for it to finish), trigger a Data Shuttle OFFLOAD to attach to a THIRD sheet (which is your final destination sheet). Then trigger a second Data Shuttle to UPLOAD on Most Recent Attachment, mapping only some of the columns over.

The way to prevent copying rows multiple times from the staging sheet to the final sheet is to include some kind of lookup of a unique identifier - Row ID autonumber or something - and include a formula on the STAGING sheet to check a box if the Row ID on an individual row exists on the final row. Filter your Shuttle offload to only include those where the box isn't checked.

If this doesn't make your head hurt, you're a better person than I. 😀 😀 😀

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you are wanting to include only specific rows, include a checkbox or something along those lines, and make your automation trigger on a daily basis, and add a condition where the column is checked - and then tack on an update cell to uncheck that box.

If you're wanting to include only specific columns… this is the hideously ugly and awful workaround I came up with. It involves using premium app Data Shuttle:

On your origin sheet, move or copy whatever rows you want to a "staging" sheet. Schedule it at a time of day - say 6:00am. At 7:00am (delayed from the move/copy row so that there's time for it to finish), trigger a Data Shuttle OFFLOAD to attach to a THIRD sheet (which is your final destination sheet). Then trigger a second Data Shuttle to UPLOAD on Most Recent Attachment, mapping only some of the columns over.

The way to prevent copying rows multiple times from the staging sheet to the final sheet is to include some kind of lookup of a unique identifier - Row ID autonumber or something - and include a formula on the STAGING sheet to check a box if the Row ID on an individual row exists on the final row. Filter your Shuttle offload to only include those where the box isn't checked.

If this doesn't make your head hurt, you're a better person than I. 😀 😀 😀

• Monica.Buelna
    Options

Thank you! Yes, I meant certain columns (not rows). I will take a look at the suggested approach, I have some experience with Data Shuttle so hoping this will work to reduce manual formatting post export. Thank you!