Tracking non project activity

I wish to track both project and business as usual activity to understand the resource impact. I want to do this is a structured way showing:

Resource against projects

Resource against BAU

A combined view

To do this I need to be able to split resourcing into total capacity and capacity for projects (against each individual resource). Has anyone done this before and can offer some pointers?

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 07/08/24 Answer ✓

A good approach is to use Projects. Setup a project called BAU, or potentially multiple projects with different BAU types. Assign time to those projects. If you are timecarding, users will see that time as BAU projects to put time against. In your reports, setup 2 reports, one that filters for the projects with BAU in title, the other filters those away.

If you don't want to do it by name, you could also setup Tags to tag certain projects as BAU. But I like the name as it shows up right on the schedule and is obvious to everyone that the project starts with "BAU"

Now that Advanced Reporting is in place, you can sync reports to Smartsheet for further aggregation calculations if needed.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 07/08/24 Answer ✓

A good approach is to use Projects. Setup a project called BAU, or potentially multiple projects with different BAU types. Assign time to those projects. If you are timecarding, users will see that time as BAU projects to put time against. In your reports, setup 2 reports, one that filters for the projects with BAU in title, the other filters those away.

If you don't want to do it by name, you could also setup Tags to tag certain projects as BAU. But I like the name as it shows up right on the schedule and is obvious to everyone that the project starts with "BAU"

Now that Advanced Reporting is in place, you can sync reports to Smartsheet for further aggregation calculations if needed.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN