Employee Shift Schedule - Daily: Monday Through Saturday

Hello,

I need help creating a sort of shift schedule to send out to my employees at the beginning of each week around 6 in the morning, while being able to send a notification to them if they have to go somewhere else.

Example of Change of Location notification: If they are at a construction project at 8 in the morning, but then I need them to go to a different project at 11 in the morning.

Tags:

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

Here's how I would approach this.

1. Set up a new sheet (Grid style) with the following columns: Team Member (Contact list); Date (Date); Location (Drop down); Start Time (Drop down); End Time (Drop down); Status (Drop down).
    2. Configure Location with options for each of your job sites.
    3. Configure Start Time and End Time each as follows: to include hours as the drop down options (800, 900, 1000, etc.).
    4. Configure Status to have something to indicate whether it's confirmed or not (e.g., "1_Proposed", "2_Assigned, "3_Acknowledged", etc.). (This is optional, but will help with the notifications.)
    5. Grant each of your team members access, and make sure their Smartsheet accounts match the contacts you'll be recording in your 'Team Member' column.
    6. (optional) Lock all columns except for "Status", to limit team members' abilities to change things they shouldn't.

When you're done, it should look something like this:

5. Build an automated workflow to push the week's schedule to each team member, set it to run weekly on Mondays at 0600.

6. Build a workflow to notify the Team member if the 'Location, 'Start Time', or 'End Time' entry changes for rows matching the following criteria: (i) the Date is not in the past, and (ii) the status is either '2_Assigned' or '3_Acknowledged' (this part is optional, depending on whether your decide to do #3 above).

7. Test it with one or two people, then roll it out to your team. Expect to tweak and iterate.

Message me at hello@timothymorgan.me if you'd like the template that I mocked up. I'm happy to share it with you.