Formula for counting days

Hi! I use the below forumla to count days between to columns that have dates. The issue is it is counting the as individual days which basicall adds a day to the count. I want a true count. Help?

Dtes calculated 6/7/24 to 6/8/24 (to me this is one day) the formula gives me 2

=NETDAYS([Created Date]@row, [Date Backup Sent Back]@row)

Tags:

Best Answer

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Katherine Camacho

Since you are using NETDAYS are you looking to eliminate weekends? If you just want to calculate the number of days between two dates, regardless of holidays or weekends, try this:

The Difference Formula is:
    =([Date2]@row - [Date1]@row)

If you are always going to subtract the earlier date from the later date, this will return a positive number of days. If it's the opposite, like, Date1 - Date2, then multiply by -1 at the end to get a positive number, like this:

=([Date2]@row - [Date1]@row) * -1

If I am not understanding your question, or what you are trying to achieve, please let me know.

Best!

Answers

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Katherine Camacho

Since you are using NETDAYS are you looking to eliminate weekends? If you just want to calculate the number of days between two dates, regardless of holidays or weekends, try this:

The Difference Formula is:
    =([Date2]@row - [Date1]@row)

If you are always going to subtract the earlier date from the later date, this will return a positive number of days. If it's the opposite, like, Date1 - Date2, then multiply by -1 at the end to get a positive number, like this:

=([Date2]@row - [Date1]@row) * -1

If I am not understanding your question, or what you are trying to achieve, please let me know.

Best!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would just subtract one day from the end result:

=NETDAYS([Created Date]@row, [Date Backup Sent Back]@row) - 1

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!