Document Email for Updates

Is there a way to send a document out for updates that allows the user to update the word document directly? I tried using proofs and it only allows for annotation. I attempted to send via email, but that only works for downloading a copy of the document. I want the individual to be able to update the data directly in the document and when they hit save, it just puts a draft back into the file.

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/10/24

Hello @Pestomania

Have you considered using something in the cloud like Google Docs, Word Online, etc.? You could send out the online document for editing.

If you are forced to use a hard file attachment than I would suggest having users upload the file to the row as a new version.

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• Pestomania
    Pestomania ✭✭✭✭✭

I had not thought of doing that, but I think that would work! The only thing is that we would need a way to set up responses either via email or just go into the form and have the employee put they completed the review and a date (this is easy enough). Upon that completion, activate an approval workflow, which I have other questions about.

I am still getting to know Smartsheet and have a lot of questions as we have a large workflow to go through.

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pestomania

You could input those fields into the update request, though I'd consider if the process of: (1) opening email (2) going to document (3) editing document (4) going back to email (5) opening update request form (6) submitting changes - to be realistic. I'm not sure what type of edits recipients will do and if it's feasible to expect them to comfortably return to their email and navigate to the appropriate form to submit changes.

You could also do a personalized report that lists everyone's documents to review so they would have, in this example, one place to go to and see what they need to edit, access the document, and mark their changes right there.

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• Pestomania
    Pestomania ✭✭✭✭✭

We were looking at doing the following communication style:

1. Initial email (you have 30 days to update)
    2. Second email (you have 20 days left to update)
    3. Third email (you have 10 days left to update)
    4. Fourth email (you are no longer compliant, with supervisor)
    5. Fifth email (every Monday an email with the same statement)

I need some way to know that they have finished reviewing their document, because once they update it, it will be sent out for approval to the directors. We are talking about a few hundred documents, so manually checking each one will become impossible.