Unlock enhanced team efficiency with board view—now generally available!

Hi Community, 

We're SO excited to announce that board view – the agile-for-everyone solution from Smartsheet is now available. From managing Agile sprints to marketing campaign calendars and beyond, board view streamlines project tracking with a visual layout that keeps teams on the same page as work items progress.

Board view will make it easier than ever for users to work more efficiently and specifically will help you: 

• Keep your team aligned and focused on high-priority tasks, eliminating unnecessary meetings
  • Enhance efficiency with a view that can be tailor-fit to meet your team’s unique needs
  • Visualize related work using subtasks

All plans are eligible to use this capability. Board view is available on Smartsheet.com and Smartsheet.eu.

To get started, simply transform any sheet with one or more single-select dropdown colum, single-select contact or symbol type columns into a board by going to the view picker. 

For more information, check out our Help Article. This is just the beginning for board view. You can expect to see more new functionality released over time. As new functionality is released, we will include updates in the regular EAP communications and post them in this channel.

We want to hear from you! You all play a critical role in making this product the very best it can be. Please share feedback as you have in our Product Feedback Form.

You can also stay informed by Subscribe to receive product release updates for curated news of recently released product capabilities and enhancements for the platform of your choosing, delivered to your inbox. As new releases occur, you will receive a weekly email with news of what's released every Tuesday. 

Elektra Helde | Product Marketing | She/Her

Comments

• Matt Rasmussen
    Matt Rasmussen ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a useful feature! My biggest question as a long time Card View user is, "will Board View replace Card View?"

I see the advantages of Board View in changing the group by lanes for easy administration. I like the UI design on Board View but I prefer the size and spacing of Card View to fit more on the screen because it doesn't show empty space of null fields like Board View. (I like to see what's filled in but not have space wasted when fields are not filled in.) The ability to display specific fields in Board View is helpful but not better than Card View's stance on empty fields. I will definitely keep experimenting with it and ask others at my company what their thoughts are.

• Bo Lewis
    Bo Lewis ✭✭
    edited 07/24/24

I have the same question/concern as @Matt Rasmussen … other than aesthetics, I barely see any difference from Card View. We use the Card View as a major component to our workflows… and Board View's similarity makes me wonder if Smartsheet is planning to eventually only have one or the other?

• elektra_h
    elektra_h Employee

Hello! Thank you so much for your feedback.

In terms of the differences between board and card view:

Board view is our enhanced Kanban board solution. It is an evolution of the capabilities in card view and more. It is designed to provide you with more powerful features and a better user experience like the ability to:

• Edit efficiently & stay focused: With the new right panel card editing experience, you can view and edit all card details while still interacting with the rest of the cards and lanes in your view. This makes it easier to reference different cards without losing context.
    • Provide clarity and visualize task relationships: Board view offers hierarchical options, allowing you to establish relationships between your cards. You can either have nested child cards to maintain visual hierarchy or separate child cards to view them independently from their parent card.
    • Find what you need effortlessly: Scrolling in Board view is lane-specific, which means you can scroll lanes independently. This makes it easier to compare tasks across lanes with different priorities at a glance.
    • Never lose your work & collaborate in real-time: Board view automatically saves your work, so you never have to worry about losing your progress. Plus, multiple users can access and edit the same sheet simultaneously, with changes being reflected instantly.

In terms of your question about deprecation: We have strategically launched board view alongside card so that you can switch between views (including card view) at any time. This flexibility ensures that you can choose the view that best suits the needs of your workflow and team.

Board view continues to be under active development and more exciting functionality is on the way. We will continue to support card view for now. Once we determine that board view fully meets the needs of our customers we may consider deprecating the view.

Please continue to let us know what you think about board view using our Product Feedback Form.

Thank you so much!

Elektra Helde | Product Marketing | She/Her

• Kevin M.
    Kevin M. ✭✭✭✭

@elektra_h I've just been able to deploy my first build using Board View for a client, and we discovered that it does not respect individual Workspace Colors & Logo settings, instead defaulting to the account colors and logo. We're also seeing the same behavior in Timeline view.

Switching to any of the legacy views gives the correct color/logo.

Is this a known bug? A quick search of the community didn't turn up any results (for me).

Apart from this, we're loving the Board View.

Thanks!

-Kevin

• @elektra_h Will Board View be coming available to be used with Reports rather than just sheets directly? We are typically pulling in multiple sheets for the Kanban Tasks and this would be great for that if you can utilize it on reports