INDEX MATCH Formula with Cross Sheet References

NiAlex
NiAlex ✭✭✭✭
edited 07/24/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I am trying to write an INDEX MATCH formula that will return a due date on my metric sheet while referencing a much larger projects sheet.

Currently, my metric sheet has two columns: "Project Description" and "Initial Documentation / Broad Scope Due Date"

Both of my project descriptions are identical - one is a cell link, and the other I just copied and pasted the project description to see if the formula would work in at least one case. However, in both cases, I receive an error message.

My formulas are as follows….

Cell linked project description:

=INDEX({2025 Capital Budget - Con/Fac Broad Scope Due Date}, MATCH([Project Description]@row, {2025 Capital Budget - Con/Fac Project Description}, 0))

Manually pasted project description:

=INDEX({2025 Capital Budget - Con/Fac Broad Scope Due Date}, MATCH("Community add - Site wants to remove current dog park and add one where volleyball court is. Facilities recommend leaving current dog park and adding one if approved. Cost for facilities recommendation Will need landscaping included", {2025 Capital Budget - Con/Fac Project Description}, 0))

Both my sheet references reference a singular column in the larger projects sheet:

{2025 Capital Budget - Con/Fac Broad Scope Due Date} references the date that I am trying to display on my metrics sheet

{2025 Capital Budget - Con/Fac Project Description} references the project description that has been brought over via cell linking and manual copy/paste.

Any pointers - I've read through all the documentation on INDEX MATCH and feel that this formula should work, but am unsure if I have syntax issues or misunderstood a key concept.

Thank you in advance to the community 🙏🏻

Best Answer

• NiAlex
    NiAlex ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

All - found the issue - in my metric sheet, I had to change the "Initial Documentation / Broad Scope Due Date" to a "Date" column type (before it was the Default Text/Number):

Answers

• NiAlex
    NiAlex ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

All - found the issue - in my metric sheet, I had to change the "Initial Documentation / Broad Scope Due Date" to a "Date" column type (before it was the Default Text/Number):

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!