Risk Rating Formula

Daniel Miller PMP
Daniel Miller PMP ✭✭✭✭
edited 07/26/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all - I am trying to create a long formula and need some assistance.

For a Risk tracker I have 2 columns (Probability and Impact) both which have list values of High, Medium, Low. Based on those selections I want to have a 3rd column which is the output of the formula, Rating, designated High, Medium, Low. Below are the Rating outputs I want but cannot seem to get the formula right. Can anyone assist or provide some guidance?

Thanks for your help!

Probability

Impact

Rating

High

High

High

High

Medium

High

High

Low

Low

Medium

High

High

Medium

Medium

Medium

Medium

Low

Low

Low

High

Medium

Low

Medium

Low

Low

Low

Low

Tags:

Best Answers

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try:

=IF(AND(Probability@row = "High", OR(Impact@row = "High", Impact@row = "Medium")), "High", IF(AND(Probability@row = "High", Impact@row = "Low"), "Low", IF(AND(Probability@row = "Medium", Impact@row = "High"), "HIgh", IF(AND(Probability@row = "Medium", Impact@row = "Medium"), "Medium", IF(AND(Probability@row = "Medium", Impact@row = "Low"), "Low", IF(AND(Probability@row = "Low", Impact@row = "High"), "Medium", "Low"))))))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In that case, the most efficient "same sheet" formula I can think of would be:

=IF(Probability@row = "High", IF(Impact@row = "Low", "Low", "High"), IF(Probability@row = "Low", IF(Impact@row = "High", "High", "Low"), Impact@row))

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!