August Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge

Comments

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭

Smartsheet is a power tool that helps answer a 4-year-old's thousands' of "Whys".

• kowal
    kowal Overachievers Alumni

A tool that can save people some time on operational work in the corporate world.

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭✭

Since my teenaged son has asked me about my job, and Smartsheet is a huge factor IN my job- I can share how I do talk about it!

I have told my kiddo Smartsheet is a tool to help me stay organized, put all kinds of details all together- where myself and others can get quick updates. That I use it to quickly confirm backlogs with other departments and can use it all to plan future orders and production planning. I am sure I make it sound as magical as I feel it has been, for me. 🌟💥✨ I have told him it's like graph paper for really, really smart people!

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Wow, this is a bit tricky. I would explain it like this:

Imagine you have a big coloring book with lots of pages. Each page has different pictures and spaces where you can color. Smartsheet is like a special coloring book for grown-ups, but instead of pictures, it has boxes where they can write down their plans, ideas, and things they need to do. It helps them keep everything organized and makes sure they don’t forget anything important. Just like how you use crayons to color inside the lines, grown-ups use Smartsheet to keep their work neat and tidy! 

• AntonioC
    AntonioC ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if the intent is to convince kids to use Smartsheet :P but I would say:

"Smartsheet is an online game where friends can share, collaborate and play with data to complete task and unlock the next level."

• Monique Odom-Stearn
    Monique Odom-Stearn ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, this is a fun one! For a quick one-liner, I'd say "It helps people do what they need to do easier!" For a little longer explanation, "Imagine you have a great idea to play with your friends, but you don't have the right toys for it. You and your friends decide to sit down with some play-dough and make the toys you need, or add play-dough to other toys to make them better. Now your imagination can come to life!"

If my comment helped you, please help others by marking it as an accepted answer and consider helping me by clicking the 💡Insightful or ❤️Awesome buttons below!

Monique Odom-Stearn

Business Process Excellence Manager

Smartsheet Leader & Community Champion

Pronouns: She/Her (What’s this?)

“Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” – Ms. Frizzle

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Smartsheet is where you get to share all your toys with whomever you want, yet still get to play with it. And you can always check to see who played with it last (View History)!

You can add new toys, expand the type of toy you currently have, or even tuck the toy away in an archive in case you want to play with it again in the future (we have created archive sheets for most of our master sheets).

There's also the option to create play groups - only certain toys that others can play with and they can't change how the toy looks. So Barbie remains intact!

It's a most wonderful playground!

• Amanda Fulbright
    Amanda Fulbright ✭✭✭✭

SmartSheet is like a Lego set and you can choose to build a house that's private or an apartment building that has private and shared spaces. You can customize your house/apartment and share things in common spaces.

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni

This question is great, as I was literally just explaining, to my 9-year old grandson, what it is that I do each and every day and why Smartsheet is so important to me and the work that I do. He was with me this morning at my office and he immediately started asking questions about what I was working on and what it was that I was doing, he even shared some of his own thoughts about it. I told him that Smartsheet is similar to some of his favorite video games where you are always learning and discovering new features and capabilities everytime you 'play' it and you uncover your super power-ups to help take your work to the next level!! Sort of like his MineCraft game where he can build cities and then play in survival mode or creative mode. I explained that grandma uses Smartsheet in much the same way as I am building & creating structures to help our district so that we are not always operating in 'survival mode' but working more in 'creative mode' and 'empowerment mode'. He then told me, "Grandma, Smartsheet makes you smarter and it gives you superpowers" (lol). He's right, Smartsheet does make the work I do appear as though I know magic or have hidden superpowers. For me Smartsheet is all about unlocking the power that is within all of us and its about giving us time back in our day so we can enjoy time with family and friends and not sweat the small stuff. This is one of the main reasons why I LOVE Smartsheet!

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• bperez
    bperez ✭✭✭

Smartsheet is an open canvas to create a solution to a problem you can be having. At 8 years old, this could who's coming to your birthday party and what are you going to do. Well it's simple…

1. Use forms to send out an invitation so your friends can sign up to come to your party.
    2. Once you know who's coming you can send them all an invitation with all the fun details.
    3. Your Dashboard can show you who's coming, if their bringing a friend and what kind of food or activities they want to do.
    4. Next your mom & dad now know who's coming and what food to get and activities to plan.

• virgh
    virgh ✭✭✭✭✭

Smartsheet is a video game that I get to play with at work.

Virginia C. Hire Damrauer

• Sing C
    Sing C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love this question. My immediate thought was… Lego but as that's already been mentioned I'll give a visual answer (and show my age somewhat).

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Dayforce

LinkedIn

• Although I am new to this community and smartsheet the introductory video on YouTube did an amazing job.

I would explain Smartsheet to a child as a Magic Board, where all of your friends and cousins can play a game amd the board shows progress for each one but the catch is to play as a team as all levels are interconnected with all of your ability to play, once done a new level unlocks.

fingers crossed for winning 😁

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Remember those shape sorter toys you played with at daycare or the dentist's office? Smartsheet is like that, but for grown-ups working on projects. It helps us sort and organize jobs and tasks so our team can work together and make big projects easier by breaking them into smaller, easy-to-handle pieces.

• Kathy N
    Kathy N ✭✭✭

Smartsheet (portfolio management) is both a plan for your day and a way to tell how your plan is going.

There are different things (projects) that need to happen in your day. Brush your teeth and eat breakfast for example that could be considered projects. Within each one of these, there are specific things (tasks) that someone must do for you to both be able to do everything you need to in your day. You may be the one using the toothbrush and toothpaste but in order to do that someone needs to have given you both first.

Smartsheet helps you make sure you know all the little important things to do to make sure you can do the big things, so your day is great. There are also signs (dashboards), like the gold star chart on our refrigerator, that help important people like your parents and teachers to know how you are doing on all the things you need to do in your day. This helps to know where you may need reminders or help to get things done.

In the grown-up world, we have things we must do but often these have many steps and require weeks, months or years of work. Smartsheet has many tools, resources and abilities to help is make sure that we have good days, weeks, months and years and get important things done. Smartsheet has videos, helpers and many tools to help us if we get stuck along the way.

Now, «Insert 4-year-old name here», Should we make your refrigerator Smartsheet Dashboard (Gold star chart)?

Great question!

• Kathy N

This discussion has been closed.