HOURLY reminder function

Tigran M
Tigran M
edited 08/02/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi everyone,

I've been looking through dozens of post in the last couple of days to gain some insight on how to set up HOURLY reminders based on a status of a column not changing. I have not been able to figure this out as most of the references I am seeing are about Daily reminders and fields that have Dates in them.

Here is the scenario:

If an entry is left in a "Ticket Submitted" status, I need a reminder email sent to the responsible party every hour until that status changes to something else.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Best Answer

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Correct - you can record the date a cell gets modified, but not the time. Or, as you say, record the date and time a row gets created and / or a record the date and time a row gets modified, but that will be any change in the row, so won't help. As it stands, I can't see another way round it, but given it's very easy to duplicate automations, I'd suggest you could it fixed in 2 minutes by duplicating and adjusting them one by one and hey presto, you're done!

Rich Coles

Prodactive | Smartsheet-aligned Platinum partners

Check out our Smartsheet-dedicated YouTube channel for tips, tricks and inspiration

Answers

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭

Try this…. Create an automation as per the below that runs off 'When a date is reached' and select Custom, then set it for the first timeslot you want it to trigger and set it with no end date. Then duplicate it for all the timeslots you want it to run, eg 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300 etc… This runs off the date, not a date field.

Rich Coles

Check out our Smartsheet-dedicated YouTube channel for tips, tricks and inspiration

• Thank you @Rich Coles! I was trying to avoid that method but I don't think I have many other options. Appreciate the input, I will give it a try.

• I think if I could create a column that would record the Date & Time of when a specific cell got modified, I could make it work without having to create a Workflow for each hour. But so far I have only been able to create a column that records the date & time of when the entire row is modified, which doesn't work for my scenario.

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Correct - you can record the date a cell gets modified, but not the time. Or, as you say, record the date and time a row gets created and / or a record the date and time a row gets modified, but that will be any change in the row, so won't help. As it stands, I can't see another way round it, but given it's very easy to duplicate automations, I'd suggest you could it fixed in 2 minutes by duplicating and adjusting them one by one and hey presto, you're done!

Rich Coles

• Thank you @Rich Coles. Ended up creating what you suggested, and duplicated the workflow several times to trigger at several hour increments. Works well. Thanks again!

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭

Delighted to be of help! Sometimes the less technical solution is by far the quickest and easiest!

Rich Coles