Automatically Update Grandchild Status when Child Status Changes

Hello,

I feel like I'm making this formula much more difficult than it needs to be (I'm totally overthinking it!). Anyway, I have a sheet that has Grandparent, Child and Grandchild rows. When the Child status changes to "closed", I want the status for the grandchild to update to "closed" Does anyone know any easy formula to do this? Thank you!

Answers

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sheryl Sheldon - something like this?

I always like to use column formulas where I can, so there are two options here.

1. In the status column if you are happy to add in a formula below the parent status, then you can simply use =IF(PARENT() = "Closed", "Closed", "") and then overwrite it if needed etc
    2. Given the inherent risk of that formula not being there / being deleted etc, could you have a master status column for the grandchildren? If so, add in a Level column with this formula =COUNT(ANCESTORS(Item@row)) and then in the Status column formula use this =IF(Level@row = 2, IF(PARENT(Status@row) = "Closed", "Closed", ""))

Hope that helps… a lot depends on how you have your sheet set up more widely and how people will be updating the rows as that will influence the solution you use.

Rich Coles

Prodactive | Smartsheet-aligned Platinum partners

Check out our Smartsheet-dedicated YouTube channel for tips, tricks and inspiration

• Sheryl Sheldon
    Sheryl Sheldon ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Rich Coles

That seemed to work when I added a Level column. Thank you!
    Sheryl

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭

Great! Glad I could help and glad you're using the Level column… I add that to every sheet I put hierarchy in. It's particularly useful for conditional formatting too! Please do mark this as answered. Thanks!

Rich Coles

Prodactive | Smartsheet-aligned Platinum partners

Check out our Smartsheet-dedicated YouTube channel for tips, tricks and inspiration

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!