Secondary action after generating PDF

Jayy S.
Jayy S. ✭✭✭
edited 08/05/24 in Smartsheet Basics

In an intake sheet I'm having the information entered mapped to a PDF document. I want to see if there's a way to have an automation to checkmark a checkbox when that document is generated (as a secondary action) but I'm not seeing the additional "+" like in other automation workflow. Is there a way to have that trigger?

The reason I need that specific trigger is that we also want a notification sent when that PDF attachment is generated, but there will be other times that other attachments will be added but we don't want a notification sent from those.

So is there anyway for a SPECIFIC attachment to trigger a workflow for notification?

Thanks.

Edit:
Follow-up question. Can we only send a SPECIFIC attachment in the notification or do we have to send ALL attachments in that notification?

Answers

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jayy S. - I'm not aware of being able to achieve this directly, but I always like to come up with workarounds where I can to fill the gaps. In this case, I would create a parallel automation that runs off the same trigger that creates the PDF attachment. Eg if you have a check-box to trigger the creation of the PDF, you can create another automation to mark a column to show the PDF has been created that should always run on the same conditions being met as the other automation. it's not fail-safe, but should work. See below as an example. When I ticked 'Generate invoice', it (1) created the PDF and (2) marked the PDF created at the same time.

You can trigger the PDF creation off an attachment being added, but you can't specify off which attachment

And, no, there isn't a way natively to specify which attachments to include in a notification. If the attachment field is included in your notification, all attachments will be sent.

Hope that helps. Please do mark as answered if so.

Rich

Rich Coles

Prodactive | Smartsheet-aligned Platinum partners

Check out our Smartsheet-dedicated YouTube channel for tips, tricks and inspiration