Collaborating within a report

We use reports to create custom views of a "master sheet", so several uses might be in reports that are referencing the same sheets. Is there a way to know that another user is in the same report? similar to when two people are in the same sheet, but for reports. My concern is that if two people are in the same report they could be changing the same fields without any way of knowing. The version within the sheet works pretty good, so something similar would be great.

Best Answer

• Will.Parente
    Will.Parente ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Saul, more or less - yes that's exactly right.

You'll end up with something that looks more like a website than a grid sheet for the end user. You get to set exactly what they see, what they interact with, and what permissions. You can make multiple "views" per "master sheet" for each group and share to them a single URL with which to access it.

As with all things Smartsheet, there are pros and cons. So before implementing this I would give it a good test. I love the tool but some of my end users do not share that enthusiasm.

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-dynamic-view-secure-confidential-collaboration

Answers

• Will.Parente
    Will.Parente ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think this is a current feature. I would also note that when using reports this way (which I do all the time) you'll get a little delay in between putting in information and it translating to other reports.

If you have access to Dynamic Views, that would be a better option for what you're trying to do, imo.

• Saul C.
    Saul C. ✭✭

Thanks. I have not explored dynamic views. Does Dynamic View let you have custom views of the actual sheet, rather than using a report? I'd love to be able to hide rows from the "master sheet" and save that view rather than using a report to control the views. I have the master sheet in sections based on which department needs to see that data, so it would be easy to hide everything but that departments section if only i could save that view with it's own name. Is that possible, to your knowledge?

• Will.Parente
    Will.Parente ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Saul, more or less - yes that's exactly right.

You'll end up with something that looks more like a website than a grid sheet for the end user. You get to set exactly what they see, what they interact with, and what permissions. You can make multiple "views" per "master sheet" for each group and share to them a single URL with which to access it.

As with all things Smartsheet, there are pros and cons. So before implementing this I would give it a good test. I love the tool but some of my end users do not share that enthusiasm.

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-dynamic-view-secure-confidential-collaboration