Slack Integration

Hi All,

I know we can integrate Slack with Smartsheet to send notifications to Slack.

I would like to know if it is possible to use information in Slack Workflow to update Smartsheet automatically. This would involve adding the details of the Workflow into a new row in Smartsheet whenever a new message is posted in a Slack Channel using the Workflow.

Thank You.

Best Answer

• Yasser Yasin
    Yasser Yasin ✭✭
    edited 08/29/24 Answer ✓

Hi @Emskie321 you can directly use out of box Smartsheet integration step available in Slack for updating or inserting rows into a smartsheet . Once you select Smasrtsheet, you will options to Add, Delete, Select or Insert rows into Smartsheet. Subsequently you will have to authorise your Smartsheet account and then select the actual sheet you would like to connect to your workflow. Suppose you would like to insert a row to your smartsheet and select that option, it will then show options to map fields from your workflow to each of the column available in the smartsheet (refer to the third screenshot below) and map it to any of the fields you may have collected from the user in previous step within the workflow or system fields (ex: channel where the workflow was run, person who initiated the workflow, timestamp, etc)

Answers

• Hi @Emskie321

From what I know of Slack Workflows, there isn't a direct integration within Slack to create a Smartsheet row or update a row automatically. However it looks like there may be some third party applications (such as Zapier) that can help you create a connection between the two that way!

Cheers,
    Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for looking at this issue.

I am hopping to use a Slack Workflow without a third party application such as Zapier.

There is an integration between Slack and Smartsheet to update rows, I just need to figure out how it works.

Slack also has a third party Workflow for Google Sheets to collect information in a form and add it to a Spreadsheet, before it is added to a Channel. We need something similar for Smartsheet.

• Hi @Emskie321

Thank you for this information! It's great to see the updates that Slack has made, I'll definitely be trying this out myself 🙂

If you have feedback on Slack integrations, I would suggest posting them in their Community forum, here: https://forums.slackcommunity.com/s/?language=en_US

Cheers,
    Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Yasser Yasin
    Yasser Yasin ✭✭
    edited 08/29/24 Answer ✓

Hi @Emskie321 you can directly use out of box Smartsheet integration step available in Slack for updating or inserting rows into a smartsheet . Once you select Smasrtsheet, you will options to Add, Delete, Select or Insert rows into Smartsheet. Subsequently you will have to authorise your Smartsheet account and then select the actual sheet you would like to connect to your workflow. Suppose you would like to insert a row to your smartsheet and select that option, it will then show options to map fields from your workflow to each of the column available in the smartsheet (refer to the third screenshot below) and map it to any of the fields you may have collected from the user in previous step within the workflow or system fields (ex: channel where the workflow was run, person who initiated the workflow, timestamp, etc)

• Hi @Yasser Yasin,
    Thanks for the detailed explanation and the screenshots. This is exactly what I wanted to do in Slack.
    However, I have across an issue with posting the data into a Slack Channel. The data collected in the form is only visible to the person who run the Workflow, which is annoying and I have been unable to change this setting.
    Please let me know if there is a way around this issue. Thanks.