Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Word wrap is too restrictive

In the grid view, word wrap will cause the height of the rows to expand as large as needed. But I find this is too large in some cases and is sometimes way too 'random looking' (seemingly random row heights) depending on the data.

I recommend a sheet setting of "min. height" and "max. height" of rows. This could be in a factor of the default font and font size. So a value of any integer will display that many rows of text. And if you changed the default text size, the sheet would automatically adjust so that the number of shown lines would still be the same. Of course if you have other font sizes for certain cells, it will not add up to the same number of rows.

Also, when I have a cell—such as one that I might make a few notes in—and I use the hard-enter "Alt-Enter" or "Ctrl-Enter", when the row is already taller do to other cells, I still only see one line. If that cell has word wrap off, it should at least show the additional lines (not by word wrap but by hard-enter). So even with word wrap off, Smartsheet should at least show as many lines as it can in the current row height.

BTW, my work around to at least have a minimum row height is to have a columns with the formula ="1"+CHAR(10)+"2"+CHAR(10)+"3" (+ etc.) and turn word wrap on for that column. Or you can simply add a default text with as many hard-enter's as you like. Only problem is that it has to be non-hidden.

Tags:
1 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated