Automatically Add New Sheets to an Existing Report

Can new sheets be added to an existing report automatically? I am using Smartsheet as a project tracking tool. As I add new project schedules, I want those new schedules to feed an existing tasks assignment report. Can I do this?

Best Answer

• SteveAtPathtoSummit
    Answer ✓

1. Create a Summary Field:
      1. Open the sheet you want to identify as a project sheet.
      2. Go to the Sheet Summary section, usually found in the right sidebar.
      3. Click Add Field and create a new field with a name like "Sheet Type".
      4. Set the value of this field to something specific, like "Project".
    2. Create a helper column
      1. Add a column to reference the Summary Field, like "Sheet Type" (Make sure it is the same column type accross all sheets)
        1. In this example the formula would be =[Sheet Type]#
      2. Make the formula a column based formula. Now every row will be identified as a row from a "Project" sheet.
      3. Hide the column
    3. Applying This Across Sheets:
      1. To ensure consistency, apply the Sheet Type field to every project sheet you create. This can be done manually or automated through templates if you consistently use the same fields.
    4. Building Reports:
      1. When you create a report, you can now use this Sheet Type column to filter and include only rows labeled as "Project." for row reports.
      2. This ensures that when you pull data across multiple sheets, you’re only working with project-related sheets, filtering out any other types of sheets.

Steve Mercer

Project Manager and Smartsheet Consultant

https://www.pathtosummit.com/

Answers

• I've created a helper column to identify if the sheet is a "Project" Sheet or not. You can link it to the Sheet summary in a dropdown and hide the helper column. Then your reports will be able to look at an entire workspace, but will be able to filter to only rows which identify as coming from a "Project" sheet.

Hope that helps a fellow Steve out. 😉

Steve Mercer

• @SteveAtPathtoSummit - I don't understand how to do what you suggest. Can you elaborate?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

Do you have all projects in the same Workspace(s)?

If you have the same naming convention, you can set the report to include only sheets containing the word "Schedule" or something similar.

This is the method I usually use in my client solutions.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @SteveAtPathtoSummit - Your explanation disappeared. Can you repost it?

• https://www.loom.com/share/488cef969ec2433eb4bef0fa076216c8?sid=cd5c5f22-8a04-43a4-8d23-7541c3695f90 - Here's a loom video to see.

Open the sheet you want to identify as a project sheet.
      Go to the Sheet Summary section, usually found in the right sidebar.
      Click Add Field and create a new field with a name like "Sheet Type".
      Set the value of this field to something specific, like "Project".
      Add a column to reference the Summary Field, like "Sheet Type" (Make sure it is the same column type accross all sheets)
        Make the formula a column based formula. Now every row will be identified as a row from a "Project" sheet.
        Hide the column
      To ensure consistency, apply the Sheet Type field to every project sheet you create. This can be done manually or automated through templates if you consistently use the same fields.
    4. Building Reports:
      When you create a report, you can now use this Sheet Type column to filter and include only rows labeled as "Project." for row reports.
      This ensures that when you pull data across multiple sheets, you’re only working with project-related sheets, filtering out any other types of sheets.

Steve Mercer

1. Add a column to reference the Summary Field, like "Sheet Type" (Make sure it is the same column type accross all sheets)
      2. Make the formula a column based formula. Now every row will be identified as a row from a "Project" sheet.
      3. Hide the column
      1. To ensure consistency, apply the Sheet Type field to every project sheet you create. This can be done manually or automated through templates if you consistently use the same fields.
    4. Building Reports:
      1. When you create a report, you can now use this Sheet Type column to filter and include only rows labeled as "Project." for row reports.
      2. This ensures that when you pull data across multiple sheets, you’re only working with project-related sheets, filtering out any other types of sheets.

@SmartSteve

Steve Mercer

• SteveAtPathtoSummit
    Answer ✓

3. Hide the column
    4. Building Reports:

Steve Mercer